Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
roediman

Different colors different quality?

I experienced the same, the black does give the smoothest result,

white is always more sticky out of the nozzle and gives a rough blobby surface, I tried many setting, but it's never as smooth as black, I'll prob never will use it again.

I Maybe it's because of certain pigments that influence the print

Yes every color gives slightly different results and can require quite different print settings to get get the same appearance.

Some are just really bad. Like the old UltiBlue that ultimaker stopped selling.

Don't know if it's down to how different colors absorb heat or the additives they use to get the desired colors. Maybe Both?

I have also noticed that filaments from the same manufacturer will vary by colour. Having played around with dozens of different filaments, it appears that there is little guarantee that if you pay GBP34.5 per kilo for something like colorfabb that you will get twice the performance/quality of something costing half the price. I have had really cheap Chinese stuff that was pretty good. Some of it was quite horrible as well, so YMMV.

Agree.

I think the main difference in with brands like colorfabb and cheap Chinese stuff is things like packaging resulting to lower moisture content, roundness and tolerance. But I don't know why they sell colors that don't perform.

at least ultimaker realized how crap UltiBlue was and stopped selling it.