About This File
My daughter needed some dossier holder to be used in a large drawer so I came up with this design. Nothing too special although for me it was the first multi-day print as it would take about 45 hrs to print. All went fine although I noticed at some point I was running out of filament. I quickly checked the forum trying to find best ways of changing filament during print but couldn't get quick confirmation on best possible way of doing this (all ways seem to have some pro/cons/risks of bad prints). In the end I went for "soldering" 2 filaments together.
What I did (during printing):
- Took off the filament spool of the holder
- Took off the remaining filament of the spool
- Took a new spool of filament
- Made a straight cut in both filaments
- Heated a soldering iron (not sure about the temp as I can't configure that, I just didn't let it completely heat up)
- Put both end against the soldering iron until it melts a bit
- Then quickly put both ends together
- Once firm, I went with the soldering iron over it again to somehow smooth it little more
From then, I just hoped it would hold, not clutter and print well.
Luckily, it work pretty well. As you can see in one of the images, there is some under extrusion at some point which is for sure when the connected filament got used. But you need to look pretty close to see it so happy with the final result.
Having said that, would love to hear if there are any better ways to change filament when you run out during a print.