Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

psiewert

Member
  • Content Count

    5
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

8 Neutral

Personal Information

  • Country
    US
  1. Finished installing the electrical and mechanical components. Waiting for the hot end assembly to arrive then beginning testing.
  2. Here's some updates to the build So first off I've got new 3D model views. Some components have changed slightly as you'll see in the pictures. I started by attaching the LED strips to the front panel. Don't judge my wiring and soldering too much. It's a pain in the ass to wire these tiny things with an under-powered soldering iron. Next I assembled the remaining panels and added the power supply to the base. Here's a quick test of the LED's. Looks fantastic in person! Next I added the z axis support rods and bed. Still waiting on additional components from China so this is where I'll leave it for a week or so.
  3. The Ramps 1.4 board is a passive cooling setup under the loads it will probably see on this rig. If necessary I can add a fan under the unit. Yeah the drawing I had here doesn't show the lead screw nut yet. I've got to add it. I'm about to upload some new pictures/drawings as well. I went with these bearings for the time being because I had them available. I did order the LMK12LUU linear bearings just in case but they're coming from China. The bearings I have installed right now are actually high precision bearings that only allow like .0005" of shaft misalignment so they actually work really well. The thing that I actually see with the design that limits print area isn't that the fans hit the wall, the problem is that the XY axis guide blocks hit the timing belt pulleys. At a certain point it's unavoidable. Also, keep in mind that this is my first 3D printer so I didn't want to go TOO far beyond the already tested design. I can always easily cut new panels and buy different components to upgrade the unit in the future.
  4. I recently built a CNC router from scratch for a fraction of the cost that it would take to purchase brand new. The concept of building a computer controlled piece of equipment by hand and having it function so flawlessly was really addicting. I've always wanted a 3D printer but the cost of a good one like UltiMaker or MakerBot was just too much to swallow. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the engineering and time that goes into these machines and get why the Ultimaker 2 Go is $1500 but I was curious if I could do better. I took the open source files that Ultimaker graciously posts and recreated them in SolidWorks with a handful of modifications. I wanted the panels to be machinable on my router and the remaining components to be sourecable and not necessarily custom made. Here's what I came up with. First off you can clearly see I'm going with the RepRapDiscount 2004 LCD smart controller and Ramps 1.4 running Marlin instead of the Ultimaker controller with the OLED panel. Even if I were to purchase a knockoff Ultimaker controller you're talking $170 vs $45 for the RepRap and Ramps. So far my running estimated production cost is less than $600. I'll be posting pictures, part files, and a bill of materials as I go. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask. I'm more than willing to share everything I can.
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!