Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral
  1. Thanks for the replies! I tried loading in different firmwares that were included with Rep26, since that was the simpler idea to try, but there was no change. Communication stops as soon as I turn on main power. Netfabb and even Sendg don't connect with power on. I'm currently using Windows 7, but I have an old netbook with XP that should suffice to test that idea tomorrow. Perhaps my Windows driver is messed up somehow. How many bits per baud is the connection? Is there some benefit to increasing the bits per second of the virtual COM3 port in Windows? Does RepG26's Marlin firmware like a baud of 57600? Also, last but not least, I downloaded the Arduino software and had Windows search and install the driver for the UART from that download. Before that, my machine did not recognize the Arduino. However, I did not search to be sure it was the newest driver. Could that be a problem? Thanks again!
  2. Hello all, This is my first time posting since building my machine a month ago. I had a couple of minor issues with the build, but they should not impact the problems this post addresses. When I was attempting my first print with Netfabb Engine for Ultimaker and the stock firmware (5D), communication was established (manual worked fine, even the extrusion), I generated a toolpath, preheated the head, then started the print. It would subsequently lock up and disconnect after a minute. When I would reconnect, it would say the build was ended. Because this persisted no matter how preheated it was, I gave up and I tried generating a gcode with Netfabb and printing it with ReplicatorG 23. This program would also connect and the manual control would work (except for the extruder). This program would start the print. If I had a raft generated, it would output a decent amount of plastic for the raft, but would basically stop extruding when the print began. I checked to make sure there were no jams a couple of times and the bolt was not slipping; maybe a jam once, otherwise no problems. I tried fiddling with the potentiometer on the extruder driver, being careful not to turn it more than halfway; no results other than a slightly hotter extruder motor. I then tried swapping two of the drivers; no difference. Ruling out a driver problem, I tried ReplicatorG 26. This drove the extruder properly with manual controls, but the same issues persisted during the print. I put it away for a week while I pondered the issues. When I got it back out, I took a close look at the electronics to make sure there were no cold solder joints or shorts or anything, put it back on the frame, plugged in the power and turned it on, then plugged in the USB... but the LED on the head did not light up. I tried different USB cables first, then unplugged everything from the board, then tried the USB with the power to the board off, etc. Nothing seemed to work. The Arduino did not seem to be turning on. I took the boards loose to look at them again, then put them back and replugged everything. Something must have changed, because the LED on the head lit up. I now have communication with the Arduino board, but only until I turn on the main power to the Ultimaker board. When I do, RepG locks up and does not seem to receive any information. It will not connect, for any reason, with any software I use(I have to shut down RepG's process and restart it), until I turn off the power and remove and replace the USB cable. If I try to do so without removing and replacing the USB and while keeping the motors on, it will engage the motors for a second (the print head cannot be moved manually), then disengage (the head can be moved easily). This happens no matter which software I use; even Netfabb cannot connect until I unplug and replug the USB, and only when the main power is off. When I do, I can connect, tell it to perform operations (it can't because it doesn't have main power) and install different firmwares (I have tried this; it does not seem to make any difference). In order to determine if it was following any instructions, I gave it the command to heat up, then turned the main power on. It lost communication, but it did heat up. It also loses communication regardless if the drivers are plugged in or not. I haven't tried disconnecting everything yet. Please help! I didn't mean to write a book, but this has been very frustrating and I wanted to include all I could in case it was relevant. Speaking of which, the error returned in RepG when it cannot connect to the Arduino after I turn on main power is thus: [22] Connecting to machine using serial port: COM3 [22] Initializing Serial. [22] Attempting to reset RepRap/Ultimaker (pulsing RTS) (it engages the motors for a second) [22] Supports RC [22] RepRap/Ultimaker not responding to RTS reset. Trying again.. [22] Attempting to reset RepRap/Ultimaker (pulsing RTS) (again) [22] RepRap/Ultimaker not responding to RTS reset. Trying again.. [22] Attempting to reset RepRap/Ultimaker (pulsing RTS) (again) [22] RepRap/Ultimaker not responding to RTS reset. Trying again.. [22] Attempting to reset RepRap/Ultimaker (pulsing RTS) (again) [22] RepRap/Ultimaker not responding to RTS reset. Failed to connect. [22] Supports RC Is this a serious error in the printed circuit board wiring, a baud rate issue showing up in weird ways, or did I just receive a bad Arduino? Even the reset button on the Arduino does not allow a program to resume or initiate communication, but unplugging and replugging the USB does.
  • Create New...