Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

spirit

Dormant
  • Content Count

    7
  • Joined

  • Last visited

    Never

Everything posted by spirit

  1. @DonMilne A knurled wheel + two rubber wheels may work better than the belts. I've been debating if I want to modify my extruder design to use two rubber wheels instead as the rubber belts causes a number of issues if the belts have too much slack. The idea behind the belts was that the more contact area = more friction against the filament but there are more variables to consider if the belts are not 100% tightened. One thing to note is that the filament will slip even if the filament does not jump back (ie. stepper motor does not skip) so just using two knurled wheels by itself may not solve
  2. Sorry, I don't think I have the original file of the spacer that I'm currently using. It should be fairly trivial to make one though as it's just a rectangular box ~12mm in height.
  3. I just want to clarify a point mentioned here in case others get the wrong impression about the point of my extruder design. The belt system does not improve the result of the UM2 extrusion test. In fact, it should perform worse due to the increased friction from the gearing system. The entire point of the design was to improve extrusion reliability and accuracy. The extra reliability only comes into play when printing retraction-heavy prints which more often ends up stripping the filament partway through a print. Most people seem to be printing fairly simple designs with few to no retractions
  4. The belts were from McMaster-Carr in the US. Unfortunately they don't stock metric belts so it may be hard to source if you're in the UK. Direct link to the belts is here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#7887k71.
  5. I've actually had the same issues described in this thread when I first started using the UM2, but I've implemented a different fix using two parts. The printer that I have has the issue where one corner (front right in my case) was ~4mm higher than the other three corners and so the printer wobbled when printing. I didn't want to completely take apart the printer to fix the issue, so I came up with an alternative fix instead. The first part consists of length adjustable legs that attached to each corner to stabilize the printer: The second part was the actual fix for the heated bed a
  6. I wanted to wait till I finalize the design before making the STLs more widely available. I just wrapped up and tested rev. E of my design and verified that it's working as intended. The files are posted on YouMagine.com now if anyone is interested in testing it out: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/belt-driven-ultimaker-2-extruder
  7. Hey guys, long time lurker here. I've been following some of the alternate designs here for a replacement filament feeder as I've had a lot of filament stripping and/or underextrusion issues on prints. I've been working on my own replacement for the filament feeder and I've finally gotten it to the point where it actually works better than the original feeder design. This is more of a proof-of-concept design if anything, so I wouldn't recommend actually trying to assemble the current version. I'm still working on improving the design, but in the meantime I'd like to put what I have out here f
×
×
  • Create New...