Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

madoverlord

Member
  • Content Count

    65
  • Joined

  • Last visited

    Never

Community Reputation

0 Neutral
  1. Interesting. Another possible approach would be a small printed duct that deflects the airflow into the lee. That might get you more airflow where you want it. But quite frankly a fan would be about the same weight and give you much more cooling air.
  2. @fns720: I only print in PLA.
  3. fns720 -- looks lovely! I've been lurking in this thread for a while because I've been hideously busy with a KickStarter project but it is of great interest to me. I'm glad to see this topic is heating up again :cool: Perhaps the solution to the issue of uneven cooling in the "lee" of the printhead where it blocks the airflow is a small fan on the printhead that blows directly downwards. So the setup would be that the fan is on the left side (the reverse of fns720's setup) and the fan is mounted to the printhead on the right side, blowing directly down, perhaps with a duct. My current setup has two fans on the printhead, one in the standard position and one blowing down vertically as described above, and seems to work well. You can see it here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:164499 It is an accessory mount ring for the hot-end that makes it much easier to mount things to it, and it was designed with fans in mind.
  4. Using the Cura infill to collimate the airflow is elegant; well done!
  5. I'm going to get on the bandwagon and start experimenting with this. With regards to the side panels, probably the easiest construction method is going to be 4mm corrugated plastic sheet (basically plastic cardboard!) plus some small neodymium magnets located at the bolts; they should just pop on and off. I may play with some custom mounts so I can inset the panels.
  6. madoverlord

    Strange Cura UI issues in 13.12/10 under Mavericks

    Update: rebooting my machine fixed the mouse actions issue. Very strange.
  7. madoverlord

    Strange Cura UI issues in 13.12/10 under Mavericks

    Ah, well part 1 of the problem is fixed; somehow it decided I was using a UM2 instead of a UM1. Now the basic UI is working but I still can't select any objects on the printbed to move/rotate/resize them. All the other mouse actions (like changing the viewpoint) work fine.
  8. No matter how I adjust the tension spring/bolt in my Ultimaker extruder, the filament is getting ground up, and plastic dust is getting drawn up into the bowden tube, resulting in an eventual jam. I've backed off the bolt so that the distance between the blue plastic block and the washer at the other side of the spring is 12.39mm and it's still happening. When initially feeding the filament (before it gets to the hot end, so no resistance) I can see very small dimples in the filament caused by the knurled bolt. What should I try next?
  9. I am running OS X Mavericks. Cura 13.12 shows only Print speed under the Speed and Temperature part of Full Settings / Basic. I can't set the temperature. Also, I can't select objects once they are loaded. I went back to 13.10; it lets me set temperature but popups like Platform Adhesion type are stuck and don't work. I had to go all the way back to 13.06 in order to get a version where the UI worked for me. Bizarre! Any suggestions?
  10. I've had good results with small drillbits -- mcmaster.com is as usual the place to go for stuff like this.
  11. Nick, I'd suggest that you remove some of the insulation higher up on the hot end, so that some of the cooling air can get in there and mitigate any thermal creep. You might even want to heat-sink that area. One of the issues I ran into with the thermal sock was that it was too effective and extended the hot zone, leading to clogs. I had to redesign the sock so that it left the area above the hot-block exposed, and that eliminated the clogs.
  12. You should just be able to print a passive duct/hood that modifies the airflow. It's won't have to get close to the hot-block to do the job. One trick I've used is to apply foil-tape (basically, aluminum foil with adhesive on one side) to the sides of the ductwork that face the hot-block. The foil reflects a lot of the IR, and conducts heat away from the parts closest to the hot-block (and into cooling airflow in this case). You can get within a few mm of the hot-block without issues. Not to mention my hot-end sock reduces heat-flow considerably. It will get up to full hot-block temperature eventually but it is so non-conductive that you can touch your finger to it for a second or two before it becomes uncomfortable.
  13. Given that the hot-block doesn't block that much and is in any case moving (and usually diagonally), I doubt this is a significant problem. There might be some marginal improvement to be had by putting a passive duct (perhaps with a small fan) on the hot-end that redirects some of the air from above the plane down behind the hot-block.
  14. Looks very interesting. Checking out crossflow fans has been on my todo list for a while, but I've been busy with a KickStarter. My mold for a standard hot-end thermal sock may come in handy...
  15. Holy crap, that's an awesome idea! I will be updating my mold in a few days so that it doesn't cover the top of the hot block. The current design was reducing the temperature gradient too much, resulting in increase clogs. You can simply cut that area of the silicone away from the current version of course.
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!