Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Crusty

  1. That's great mrdindon. I seem to remember altering skirt/brim flow rate but without success. I think I was using Cura 4.0 at the time but I am now running Cura 4.3 so maybe that will allow me to to alter flow rates. I haven't had the need to check this out as I'm having success now with the Kapton and I no longer need to print a brim.
  2. I never did get to the bottom of the printer settings but then I ran out of hairspray and replaced it with a different brand. The new brand acted more as a release agent than an adhesive so I then started using Kaptan tape which I found to be so good that I no longer needed to start with a brim. I needed a wider tape so I bought some from Ebay but beware! What was listed as Kaptan tape was on a reel printed Kapton and it was as much use as a non-stick frying pan. The moral of the story is:- Experiment with different combinations of materials, suppliers and temperatures and write down everythin
  3. Hi RG Your photo doesn't seem to have downloaded so it's difficult to comment further. However, having looked more closely at your original photo, are we looking at an infill over the large rectangular surface? If that is so then perhaps you should try to reduce your infill density and see what happens. Also, what is the underside of the first layer like when you remove it from the bed? Maybe you have an adhesion problem. I wanted to try blue painters tape but I haven't been able to find any stockists here in the UK although it seems to be advertised everywhere in the USA. I tried so
  4. Not quite sure what you mean by an 'ocean wave' look but if you are printing a straight line and it ends up wavy then quite likely your nozzle is much too far away from the bed. Check your nozzle to bed gap using a piece of paper as a feeler gauge - you should just detect some resistance to movement of the paper when it is just trapped under the nozzle and for most 80gsm weight papers that will give you a gap of around 0.1mm. Also check on your Cura print settings under the quality section that you haven't specified an inappropriate initial layer height.
  5. I was printing out a particular component with reasonable results but the print settings settings really needed a bit more tweaking. The problem is that once you have made a change or two then it is difficult to recall your previous settings and now I can no longer seem to adjust my brim line width as I would like. Originally the lines of my brim would touch one another and fuse together which was fine as it gave the brim a lot of strength. Now my lines are well separated and any attempt at increasing the line width so that they can fuse together seems to have no effect. I originally foun
  6. I am new to 3D printing and use an entry level Anet A8 with increasing success the more practice I get. I use a 0.4mm nozzle, now at 205deg.C and the bed at 70deg.C, these settings seem to work well with my PLA on a glass bed with extra firm hold hairspray. I designed a component with an 8mm wide brim which seemed to print very satisfactorily, the brim being a quite sturdy solid mass which measures between 0.31 and 0.37mm thick. The brim has 10 growth rings visible which are all fused together and 0.8mm wide each. I printed off two of these components and then my son had a look at my co
  • Create New...