Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

brictone

Dormant
  • Content Count

    52
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Thanks for clarifying JDRM, I just didn't realize the cartridge was the same size and shape since my old one failed and needed to be replaced anyway. I got a new PT100 and the E3D is working great now. It's nice to see somewhat of a standard in those shapes.
  2. I'm running into this same thing, except, I'm wondering if I can use the e3d therm on the UM2 mobo? Sounds like it's not possible without some adapter due to the way the electronics are designed.
  3. I recently had someone interested in this so I posted what I've been using to get Gcode from Maya on GitHub. It's nothing fancy right now but it's just an obj export and launch Cura application with a Python script on the shelf. I didn't get too far with my previous approach, and Cura seemed to be changing too rapidly to keep up. Maybe now is a better time to get back into it with the new Cura 3.x https://github.com/Brictone/MayaToGcode
  4. I have the cooling per layer set to 17seconds, with a minimum speed to 10mm/sec. I'm testing 5mm/sec now. Since yesterday I pulled the Z rod out of the older machine, cleaned it and re-greased it. It's actually more stiff than it was. Before the bed would fall, when the motor is disengaged, under it's own weight to the bottom now it barely falls if at all. I also loosened and tightened the Y Axis pulley set screws. I am thinking less and less this has to do with X Y and Z mechanical alignments or calibration. But I'm happy to revisit everything and anything if anyone has sugg
  5. Well I went and pulled the Z rod out of the newer machine, I suspected it was worse since layers were inconsistent. It always skips or gets stuck on a layer about 1cm high. Regardless these consistent layer differences are still in the test piece. So it did not improve the problem I was having. I also added tensioners to the Large Y Axis belts. Just to clarify, I am getting different outside layers depending on whether or not the layer is solid or is hollow with 20% infill. They just look different enough on X Y axis. Solid layers are not as large in the X And Y axis.
  6. Very interesting thought on the Z axis. I'll give the Z rods some attention. I just had a thought of increasing the tesselation of the model, right now it's very low poly, to see if it makes a difference. My thought is if the Z rod was dirty I would expect inconsistent results, right now it's perfectly reproduceable. Even if I lengthen the model on the Z. I used to have some belt tensioners, I used clothes pins springs. I can try that again. Although if the belts were loose I would expect see ringing and vibrations in the print. Which I do not.
  7. Hi All, I've had my printer for over 7yrs and have torn it down and replaced parts and re-built it more than once. In face I have an UMO+ I purchased a couple of years ago and both have the same issue. They both have the UM2 electronics. So they are very close to the same. I'm getting these odd layer sizes with features of a print. I've done everything I can think of. I tightened all 12 pulley set screws, re-seated the XY motors, tightened belts on one. changed filament. The problem exists on both printers so I don't think it's mechanical. He
  8. It should work with just about any version of Maya although I haven't tested it on anything else. Updating is still worth it but it shouldn't hold you back from trying the script. and putting it in the scripts in the non-version scripts folder will make it available to all versions that are installed.
  9. I updated the script on my site and you can find it here. http://www.bg3d.com/archives/1101
  10. I was using maya to position the model on the platform but I think Cura has made that easy as well by just sticking it on the platform at the origin. I was also using Maya to merge and mold multiple geometry together to make a water tight STL. Cura now makes it a easy and slices multiple objects together without creating cavities. There's some options with that too. So, I've changed the script significantly in order to accommodate all the updates that Cura goes though. So what I've done is taken the selected geometry or group of polygons and export them as an STL with the name of the sele
  11. I'm not sure if there are many around these parts that use Maya to model and create objects for printing but it's one of my favorite tools. Since it has very powerful scripting capabilities with Python and MEL, I decided to learn Python to call up Cura and slice up my object and save my gcode files ready for my Ultimaker printer. There's quite a bit more I can do with this but, I'm just not a seasoned programmer coming from the artist world. If anyone is interested in using something like this lemme know and I can try and package up the python script. Here's a screen shot of the window inter
×
×
  • Create New...