Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

nerdwarrior

Member
  • Content Count

    177
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

19 Good

Personal Information

  • Country
    TW
  • Industry
    R&D / Exploration
  1. It's been years and I honestly don't remember. I'm guessing I went with either gr5 or neotko's tip. To freeze you can take some canned air and spray it while inverted (comes out as refrigerant). For heating, I wouldn't recommend fire, but you could maybe try hot water or attaching the block/heater/thermistor and heating it up. Hope that helps!
  2. Hello everyone! It's been another year, I've finally managed to get the designs finalized and printed, the fans ordered, and everything installed (among a slew of other printer upgrades). A problem I've run into is that, somehow, I blew the blowers within maybe 5 minutes of running them... I've tested the power coming out of the board, and that is working fine. It will drive any other fan. So the problem must be with the blowers. My theory right now is that the fans act as inductors when they're turned off, which causes a back current. What bothers me is that, to th
  3. Thank you for the information, nilrog! Unfortunately, what I want to try is beyond what is offered in the webtool and requires me going in to change some gcode definitions. This I've done, but I'm just afraid that I've missed something in the configuration.h file. When you say download the tool, do you mean there is a way to generate the code (not compiled) that I can then modify? If so, that would be perfect, because I would be certain I haven't missed any configuration for my UMO+!
  4. I've printed one out and assembled it, but haven't gotten around to actually installing it, so I can't speak with certainty whether I have the same wobble or not. From what I can tell, however, my feeder seems solid and not wobbling. Some things that I did to mitigate wobble from the start include printing everything with a horizontal expansion of +0.1mm and printing both the "Hands" and "Joke Fix Test" (above) files, which gave me three parts to use. I then tested to see which one gave the best fit. Hope that helps!
  5. Been kind of busy, haven't gotten around to actually finishing this yet. All the parts are here, though, and I'll probably have some time later this month after exams are over. Sorry for how long this is taking 😕 I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to firmware, but based on what I can see, the Amedee fork of Marlin is UMO+-ready, correct? The only thing I see that needs changing is the motherboard from 7 ("Ultimaker") to 72 ("Ultimaker V2.X"). Everything else seems fine for an unmodded UMO+ (thermal, motion, etc). Can someone please back me up on this? Thank you in ad
  6. Nice! It horrifies my inner laziness, though... Let me know how it goes! I used Autodesk CFD (student subscription).
  7. A legitimate concern, @geert_2. I'm hoping that for PLA this won't be too much of an issue, and if necessary, I can turn down the blowers slightly while leaving the axial fans on high. Does that sound alright, or do you think the cooling would be too irregular?
  8. Thanks, @neotko, for clearing that up! Since I evidently cannot get full airflow because the fan is not available in 24V, I tried extending the fan duct a bit to better direct the air. This seems to work, and I'll probably be ordering parts soon. Stay tuned!
  9. I'm not worried about the FET, and I totally agree that the air should be focused right below the nozzle. The problem is, I'm not quite sure how to go about fixing it, as the duct was originally designed with ~1.6 CFM in mind, before I realized that the fans would only be capable of running at ~0.8 CFM. Do you think narrowing the duct output would increase the pressure too much? The fans have to be in series because the BFB03512HHA-AF00's are only offered in a 12V, not 24V, package. Ideally, the fans should be wired in parallel so as to not have to worry about equally dropping volt
  10. I agree, the blower configuration for the first one is better. However, it was done with a CFM slightly higher than the fans would be able to supply if wired in series. The idea with the axial fan on the side is that when the print head is moving fast, the blower won't provide enough cooling time (it moves away), so the airflow of the axial fan moves directly over the freshly printed part.
  11. Update and slight issue: I've conducted some CFD's with various shroud setups, and the results are both encouraging and disappointing. Just the blower, mounted 20 degrees from vertical: Blower and axial, blower 20 degrees from vertical and axial mounted straight behind (so that bottom of the fan colinear with bottom line): Here's the problem: I initially forgot that by wiring the blowers in series, each would receive less power and thus have less airflow. So, when I compensated for that in the second CFD, you can see that the air from t
  12. Hi everyone, Proper part cooling is essential for nice prints, especially with PLA. I, like a lot of people, thought it would be nice to improve this, so I set out to do some research. What I've essentially found are two main solutions: blowers, which have the benefit of higher static pressure and focused airflow, and axial fans, which have the benefit of high airflow. The former allows for rapid cooling of the plastic coming straight out of the nozzle, which is useful for small features, while the latter allows for even cooling over a large area for larger/faster prints. In o
  13. Hello everyone, I was recently looking for replacement XY shafts on Robotdigg, and it wasn't available. Yesterday, they got back to me to tell me that they now stock the shafts! They are 6mm OD, 267 mm long. For anyone looking for them, here's the link: https://www.robotdigg.com/product/1047 . Cheers! Note: I'm not being paid by Robotdigg to say any of this; it's just a great place to get cheap parts!
×
×
  • Create New...