Cura 15.06 with CubeX

michaelhauser

Posted · Cura 15.06 with CubeX

I am new to Cura and am starting with 15.06, which I'm trying to use with my CubeX (single). I created a json file with customized settings. The generated gcode has a few minor problems that keep it from working with the CubeX without a bit of post-processing. I wrote a python script to do the post-processing, which I could convert it to a plugin when the post-processing plugin architecture is defined. However, there are only a few minor gcode changes needed and I'm wondering if these might be better handled elsewhere (as fixes or additional settings):

- The gcode needs some text at the very top ("^Firmware:V1.07\r\n"). If I put this in the machine_start_gcode setting, it gets put in the gcode as the third line, after the initial M104 and M109 commands. Is there a setting that will let me insert text at the very top of the gcode? If not, shouldn't there be?

- The gcode needs to have comments stripped. Is there a way to turn of gcode comments? Seems like this should be a setting.

- The CubeX seems to need all lines to end with "\r\n" but there are a few places in the gcode where lines end only with "\n". This seems like a (minor) bug.

- The filename extension needs to be .bfb rather than .gcode.

With the minor changes above, the resulting gcode works fine on the CubeX Single (although I'm still dialing in the settings). Comments? I'll gladly post my json and Python code if anyone with a CubeX wants to try this.

Thanks.

Michael Hauser

• 2 months later...

Hi Michael!

After many days of tweeking the CubeX for the last 2-3 years to get a decent print that sticks to the surface, we finally bought Verbatim filament and reloaded a cartridge with it. Things suddenly went smooth and the future looked bright.. Until the chip said the cartridge was empty..

It seems like we need to use Cura and BfB to get past another wall to finally use this printer.

Would you please post your findings, machine settings and post processor?

As a last resort we will try to replace the electronics with a Smoothieboard, but I recon settings in Cura will be the same and I would like to test with the original board first.

• 8 months later...

Hi Michael,

I'm looking at using Cura with my Cubex Trio and wondered if you'd be willing to share some information on your experience, etc. One thing off the bat that would be helpful is if you have a custom JSON profile that you could share.

Thanks,

Warren