Comments on U1 controller

Posted · Comments on U1 controller

I'd like any positive/negative comments people might have.

I started on this 1.5 years ago but it got shelved because of illness.

I'm back into the development and wanted to see if anyone else is possibly working on something similar or has information/comments on my direction.

I purchased a U1 almost two years ago. I have a habit of redesigning things to make them better for me -- for it it was redesigning the U1 control board.

I designed a hi-end stepper motor controller that can be programmed to micro-step up to 128 or 256. That was phase one.

Phase two was the controller that drives the stepper.

The current board and software (Marlin) builds a trapezoid velocity profile for each segment using the axis that has the most steps in that segment. Marlin then uses Bresenham Line algorithm to step all 2 or 3 or 4 motors.

The issue I have using the Bresenham Line algorithm is that it was designed for raster graphics and "pulls" the secondary steppers as it controls the main axis for that segment. If you analysis the secondary axis tracks, you will find that they don't run at a smooth profile but can have their speed/velocity jumping back and forth by half speed.

I'm just attempting to take my good U1 and make it better for myself.

My change in control design is to build a trapezoid profile for EACH axis and have them run independent but in parallel and synchronized with each other. My goal is to have a much smoother segment deposited (you might have to look under a magnifying glass to see the difference).

Has anyone looked into something similar?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies