Z Axis is frequently skipping many layers randomly only when operating Heated Bed at 105C for more than 3 hours

Yorkeyd

Posted · Z Axis is frequently skipping many layers randomly only when operating Heated Bed at 105C for more than 3 hours

Hi,

My Ultimaker 2 Extended Z Axis is frequently skipping many layers randomly only when operating Heated Bed at 105C for more than 3 hours.

This does not occur when setting the heated bed at 60C.

Researching the troubleshooting forum, it appears that this Z Axis skipping can be caused by the circuit board under the printer getting too warm.

I may expose the bottom tonight, and add temporary cooling to see if this resolves my problem.

Has anyone else experienced this same problem?

Posted · Z Axis is frequently skipping many layers randomly only when operating Heated Bed at 105C for more than 3 hours

Look at this

Particularly this part:

Overheating due to excessive current

Due to a slight design flaw of a revision of the controller board it's possible that some printers will have a problem where excess current to the stepper drivers cause issues. What happens is that the stepper drivers overheat, the protection circuitry of the chip kicks in and shuts the driver down for a brief moment, during this moment there's a chance that the bed moves down unpredictably.

Thankfully this is usually easily fixed by simply lowering the current for the stepper motors. This is done on the printer via Maintenance -> Advanced -> Motion settings -> Current Z. The default value is 1300mA, try lowering this to 1200mA.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I lowered the default value, and have not had any problems since!

Thanks!