"Failed to install python2.7"

somerwil

Posted · "Failed to install python2.7"

Hi guys,

I wanted to try the new Cura release on my Mac but Python keeps me from making any progress...

I downloaded the newest Cura and opened it. It says Cura 12.10 needs Python 2.7 to run. After I click OK it start runing the Python installation wizard which is pretty nice. Everything works up, even up to the point where the wizards says installation complete/ succesful/ something like that with a big green V mark showing in the screen.

The problem succenly shows up when I close the window. I get a new dialog bow showing "Failed to install python 2.7" with no further reference...

It's not Cura related but I can't run Cura without Python. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys (and daid in particular),

I managed to solve my own problem here... It's Python 32/ 64 bit related.

The Cura installer just tries to install the 64 bit version of Python which appears to be too new for my pretty old machine (iMac running on Mac 10.5.8 - Leopard). After Googling some detail of the error message this showed up somewhere on the internet. When I had a look at the Python installer box it also showed 10.6+ for the OS while mine is just 10.5'ish (didn't know that up to 15 minutes ago, sorry for being a nOOb ;-)).

Ideas for the Cura installer:

Perhaps the installer can check on 32/ 64 bit machines and install the right Python version with it. Another solution would be to get some messages on the screen to help people getting Python installed correctly.

The rest of the programs that Cura needs to operate installed fine so I have a working Cura now on my Mac! Just going through the first setup wizard etcetera now :-).

Cheers,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

for those of you who are on Mac OS 10.5.8 (Leopard): this appears to be a 32-bit OS. I personally didn't know that tbh... The Cura 12.10 installation files don't work on a 32-bit machine.

I had 10.5.8 running and gave Cura a try (without knowing this was going to be a problem in the process). It resulted in more than one error but the first one that shows up is the Python installation error.I think one might be able to get Cura running on the 32-bit Leopard but I didn't even move on trying to install the bits and end up with an unsupported program.

Snow Leopard (10.6) is Apple's first 64-bit OS and costs 20 Euro's so I got myself a little upgrade :-). The installation takes some time but went smoothly. My iMac is now running 10.6 + Cura without problems. I'm thinking about upgrading to 10.8 Mountain Lion now but before I can do that my iMac needs more memory (2Gb or more is required).

More of an Apple OS-topic now, sorry for that :oops:

Michael