Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
MagicGuy

Creating a 'lead in' to my prints in Cura?

Hi folks,

I've been printing with Cura for a while, but have a new printer (Wombot Exilis XL) and I'm finding that the filament is not extruding for around 5-10 CM at the start of the print, then it lays down nicely. This isn't affecting most prints, as I use rafts a lot, and the rest of the raft seems unaffected, but I've found that - thanks to the heated bed and buildtak - the raft isn't really needed to aid adhesion.

So my question is this - not knowing a lot about programming in gcode - is there a way I can 'write in' a 10 cm 'lead in' line of print that can be later trimmed off? This would save me a lot of hassle....

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

There is an easy way to get a .gcode snippet that does exactly that. With Cura 15.x, set up a new printer and select the Ultimaker 2. Then in the menu select "Machine settings" and set the gcode flavor to "RepRap Marlin". Then Cura will have a new tab with start/end gcode. Take a look in there, the code lines are documented. It does exactly what you need (among other things).

Here is a .gif of the process:

cap.gif.a79c96116dcc346270b94fe864e0cc97.gif

cap.gif.a79c96116dcc346270b94fe864e0cc97.gif