Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
neFri

Surface Problems with UM2+ / 3dprimaABS

Recommended Posts

Hello everybody,

we got our um2+ one month ago and we are quite happy with the results we get with the factory pla.

Now we tried to switch to abs, as we need a bit more temperature resistance.

I know, that it takes quite some time to get abs to work, but i thought that i would share the experience and therby might be able to shorten the process a bit.

So here is the current state for a geometry that worked in pla very good:

parameters:

first layer: 0.27 mm

layer height: 0.1 mm

infill: 20%

wall thickness: 0.8 mm

top/bottom thickness: 0.8 mm

print speed: 60 mm/s

initial layer speed: 20 mm/s

cooling fans: off

adhesion type: raft

raft air-gap: 0.2 mm

initial layer z-overlap: 0.1 mm

raft top layers: 2

temp 230C

bed temp 100C

adhesion was fairly good on the glass, but surface kind of brakes

20160920_091624_resized.thumb.jpg.939c0b2fb80380bb81f4476b6fb74737.jpg

20160920_091604_resized.thumb.jpg.5956e9a22b6d4cd9425c010555604089.jpg

20160920_091639_resized.thumb.jpg.db83147c0ca8c762f1e33a83088ecde8.jpg

We also tried with glue, tape, increased bed tem,...

any ideas where to go next?

best regards

NeFri

20160920_091624_resized.thumb.jpg.939c0b2fb80380bb81f4476b6fb74737.jpg

20160920_091604_resized.thumb.jpg.5956e9a22b6d4cd9425c010555604089.jpg

20160920_091639_resized.thumb.jpg.db83147c0ca8c762f1e33a83088ecde8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if I understand correctly it's essentially the first layer that is causing problems where it seems you have bad adhesion to the bed, right? I actually had that same issue with regular PLA where it turned out that I had to perform some proper bed leveling. If the nozzle is little too far from the bed, it will not stick well. Just a suggestion, I'm still learning myself :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had some adhesion problems in the past, but recently this seems to be solved by recalibrating the platform (+half a turn closer). The current problem is with the first layers after the raft (as can be seen in the 2nd pic). Here the surface is very bad, it seems like the surface has cracks that open.

Guess the learning will never end;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 15 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!