First print with ColorFabb Woodfill

JeanLuc

Posted · First print with ColorFabb Woodfill

Good morning!

We have a student group that got their first 3d printer (a CTC) a couple months back and since then worked it quite hard... amazing what they can come up with and think of.

For my other line of work I got an UM2+, which I have to get to know. For the last couple of weeks I only printed with the PLA that came with it, tried some settings here and there in Cura. So, then two weeks ago ColorFabb had a sale on woodfill... I love working with wood :D I want to share:

So, as a more or less newbie, I tried it... and, as you can see, it worked quite well for a first print.

I used a model from thingiverse and exchanged the nozzle to a 0.8. Other than that I used the settings from the colorfabb website, but did not allow retraction. Layer height is 0.3.

I did notice one thing, I used to print with a 0.4 nozzle and 0.1 or so layer height.... now that I print woodfill with 0.3 layer height... it seems that the nozzle scrapes of tiny fragments from the top, so next time, I will have to adjust the gap between bed and nozzle...

As I always did with PLA, I let the woodfill sit in the nozzle for a couple of nights. This morning, I wanted to print another round with the woodfill... clogged! Duh!

I have some esun cleaning filament here which I wanted to try out... so, retracted the woodfill, detached the tube and pressed in some cleaning filament, waited until it was clean... did the atomic method once... clean... inserted the woddfill... it is printing again right now. Will post more pictures and experiences with woodfill as they come along...

One good thing... smells good :D

Phil

wood1.thumb.jpg.e516ccb62a7d6732a7ca221fa4b10788.jpg

wood1.thumb.jpg.e516ccb62a7d6732a7ca221fa4b10788.jpg