Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sygro

Under extrusion in S3D and "blobs" in Cura (Same modell)

Hello everyone,

first of: As you will notice real quick, I'm not a native english speaker.

I was ask to print a file until Monday 1st of January 2017 but I have strange problems with this print in both slicer. It's not a self gen file, it's an open source file for an Sega Dreamcast modification (http://solid-orange.com/1446).

I'm new in Simplify3D so it's totally possible that the problem is me. When I print the file with S3D it looks like under extrusion but it always starts in the exact same layer.

But when I print the file with Cura, it looks perfectly except of blobs on the spot when the loop of the layer touch each other. I didn't change the temperature or the level of the bed. Both prints uses the same printer (Ultimaker 2+), same filament (esun PLA black), and so far as it is possible, the same settings (200 microns, 210C extruder, 70C Bed, I even tried to recreate the retraction settings from Cura). So and because I'm not sure anybody could understand my english, I will upload some pictures.

IMG_4582.thumb.jpg.5c943dace292391792d4e5c5e54cba93.jpg

IMG_4581.thumb.jpg.fd3b7978edb79f7691796b6fb5e19cfd.jpg

IMG_4582.thumb.jpg.5c943dace292391792d4e5c5e54cba93.jpg

IMG_4581.thumb.jpg.fd3b7978edb79f7691796b6fb5e19cfd.jpg

Edited by Guest

As an Update:

after hours of test prints I think I found the problem, but now I need a solution for it. I tried to raise the temperature, slow down and speed up the print, tried also a higher extrusion percentage but nothing new. Then I realized that Cura don't fill the thin walls with infill but S3D does.. I turnt it off and it was much better (still not perfect and now the walls are to thin, but much better) so as a next step I start printing the outlines first and that was the a big step in the right direction.

Now the layers of the walls look normal like they should... except of the blobs I can see now because of the missing support of the outlines. -.-

But now I know for what I have to look... I have to work on the settings for the infill of the thin walls or maybe the cooling wile print them. it seems not to be the classic under extrusion!