Cura Command line

brictone

Posted · Cura Command line

Hey Daid! Love the work! I still can't figure out the logic behind the command line. I've spent the last week trying to update my thing for 1303 and I'm just spinning my wheels. I don't know why it's so hard for me.

This was working for the last 6 months or so since 12.12A came out and I asked about it then. At that point you mentioned it would change from Cura.cura to Cura.slice. So that's what I did... I got nothing. well I was able to get the help info out of the command line and learned I needed to add an output and change an -i to a -p. I think. Well anyways this is what I have...

"C:\Software\Cura\pypy\pypy.exe" "C:\Software\Cura\Cura\cura.py" -m Cura.slice -p "C:\Queue\Cura.ini" "C:\Queue\Pyramid2x10.stl" -o "C:\Queue\Pyramid2x10.gcode"

And this is the error I get.

File "app_main.py", line 51, in run_toplevel

File "Z:\Projects\Prototypes\Software\Cura\Cura\cura.py", line 15, in <module>

from Cura.util import profile

ImportError: No module named Cura

I've lost my progress and can't even replicate how I got it to work in the first place now. Is there a way you can teach me how this works so you don't have to help me every release? I just can't seam to figure this out on my own. I've learned a bit about python recently and I've tried digging through the python files to see if I can understand what cura needs but... I'm still not there.

I've got another question. Is there a way to import the cura python slicer into another python script? reason I ask is because I'm using this for my MayaToGcode scripty-do and right now I'm using python to export an stl file and then build a command line and call up cura to slice it. It would be righteous to stay away from the windows cmd line and just call it from python.

Anyone else maybe know enough about python that would be interested in helping out?

Brictone

You're almost there ;-)

I wouldn't recommend trying to run Cura.slice, which has a different interface and is used internally. And bound to change when I introduce my new engine.

The best way would be:

cd C:\Software\Cura\
    C:\Software\Cura\pypy\pypy.exe -m Cura.cura -p "C:\Queue\Cura.ini" -s "C:\Queue\Pyramid2x10.stl"

ok so it looks about the same as 12.12, I'll give that a whirl tonight.

What do you think about importing cura into another script so I could slice with it that way? I guess what I'm trying to do is turn cura into a plugin for maya.

Well you said it would be madness, but you didn't say it wouldn't be possible. That gives me hope! :grin: I might be able to bring pypy into maya as well. I'll let you know if I can get that far. :smile:

ok, I tried to get the command line to work this time. I did with 12.12 again... sorta with errors.

Here's what I did. I tried exactly what you said Navigated to the software\Cura folder

"C:\Software\Cura\pypy\pypy.exe" -m Cura.cura -p "C:\Queue\Cura.ini" -s "C:\Queue\Pyramid2x10.stl

This is the error I got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Software\Cura\pypy\lib-python\2.7\runpy.py", line 162, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
    File "C:\Software\Cura\pypy\lib-python\2.7\runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
    File "C:\Software\Cura\Cura\cura.py", line 80, in <module>
    main()
    File "C:\Software\Cura\Cura\cura.py", line 58, in main
    profile.loadGlobalProfileFromString(options.profile)
    File "Cura\util\profile.py", line 247, in loadGlobalProfileFromString
    options = zlib.decompress(options)
    error: Error -3 while decompressing data: incorrect header check

So I thought ok, maybe I mangeled the INI file so I omitted that part and it worked with 12.12... sorta. So I tried it 13.03

"C:\Software\Cura\pypy\pypy.exe" -m Cura.cura -s "C:\Queue\Pyramid2x10.stl

and got...

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Software\Cura\pypy\lib-python\2.7\runpy.py", line 162, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
    File "C:\Software\Cura\pypy\lib-python\2.7\runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
    File "C:\Software\Cura\Cura\cura.py", line 80, in <module>
    main()
    File "C:\Software\Cura\Cura\cura.py", line 67, in main
    sliceRun.runSlice(args)
    AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'runSlice'

I'm going to reinstall cura and try again... I'll be back if anything changes.

Oh, I could have broken something then...

I reinstalled, same problem. It seams weird that my previous install of cura 12.12A that was working, is not now. When I run it without a profile (INI file) it makes it most of the way and crashes on something, I can't remember the exact part of the slicing. I can look that tonight up if it would help.

Works great on 12.11 still, I'll just use that in the mean time I guess. I hope I'm not missing out on any slicing enhancements.