Ooze shield issues.

Lexchange

Posted · Ooze shield issues.

So I will preface with the fact that I am a novice 3D printer. That being said I have an issue/question regarding using an ooze shield in Cura. I've got a dual extruder machine and when I set the ooze shield it seems to be a little buggy to me. The "print order" seems off (don't know how else to say this). When the print starts it does the following:

1 prints the first layer of extruder one

2 prints the first layer of extruder two

3 prints to the ooze shield

4 prints the second layer of extruder two

5 prints the second layer of extruder one

6 prints to the ooze shield

7 prints to the third layer of extruder one

8 ....

The bug seems to me that the ooze shield should be printed to when the tool head changes and not when it moves to a new layer. Am I wrong? Have I set something wrong in my settings? From my understanding the ooze shield is there to catch the last of the material that may come out of the extruder while the switch is made.

Please help clarify...

• 3 years later...
    Posted · Ooze shield issues.

Bump.

I thought I'd try out the ooze shield on my Ultimaker S3 since one of my materials tends to ooze while the other material is printing.  I can't understand what other purpose the ooze shield would have except to prime the extruder so that there's no extra material as it's just about to print.  I guess I can understand how some printers may have dual extrusion nozzles at the same height, but that's not the case for the S3, so the "hopefully the material oozing out of the inactive extruder while wipe off on the ooze shield" approach is not very significant.

If the print order was reversed (i.e. switch extruder, print ooze shield with new extruder, then print layer with same extruder, switch and repeat), then the ooze shield would serve a dual purpose to both prime just before printing, and possibly catch hanging oozes.

That way users can choose prime tower OR ooze shield, and my preference would be the shield in most cases I've come across so far.

As an aside, it would also be very useful to allow prime tower or ooze shield for one material or the other, not tied to both, because some materials don't ooze so much and the priming may not be so necessary, while the other, dual extruder material might need it.