Extruder drive wont work

Posted · Extruder drive wont work

I recently had some problems with comms on my machine and found that I had a dodgy main board. After changing that out I found that all of the axes would work with the job function except the extruder. So I pulled the plug on the extruder, put it on the Z axis output and it ran when jogging the Z axis. I swapped over the extruder stepdriver to the Z axis and again it worked. So no dead motor or step driver. At this point I raised a help ticket. However I continued to try other things. I downloaded the latest version of Cura and tried to download the latest firmware. However I couldnt get any comms ,very strange I thought. I disconected the arduino from the mainboard and tried to download ,it worked this time. So I reconnected the arduino, and ran the first run wizard and it worked. I then tried the jog function on the extruder and it worked!!!!!

I just thought I'd share this with you as I was close to chucking the thing in the bin! Just on another note, is it posible to run a print with Cura whilst monitoring the program within the arduino via the arduino programming software? in my case I could have monitored the extruder stedriver output whilst using the jogging function and I would have picked up straight away that it was a Cura issue .Its the sort of thing I do at work with machinery in trying to fault find but I dont know how 2 programs using the same USB cable comunicating with the arduino would work together.

Paul

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies