Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Who supports the support?

Posted · Who supports the support?

The attached model (it's actually a sort of lazy-susan for jewelry boxes) has been throwing me a lot of interesting curve-balls, it was mean't to be difficult 🙂 Maybe not quite this difficult...

The one I can't seem to fix: unsupported supports that invariably droop and take down parts of the model. I can fix any given specific case by switching support pattern, and while most of them are between layers 195-198, no one pattern fixes them all.

cura-odd.thumb.png.38e3b249ebd0a08365a29fb8800ea789.png

What's worse is that one that looks like a dangling end? That's actually the *start* of a line.

Concentric produces this totally unconnected/unsupported circle; I hoped it would just fall in, but both times I tried printing it drooped into the next support in while still hot enough to buckle enough to ruin the top of the print.

cura-odd2.thumb.png.08adde89c589d85c2fbdeecb7e93717b.png

Layers 196 and 197 in Grid:

image.thumb.png.0ecfdb20e38e2b3dd064659d61492075.png

image.thumb.png.4b75519eebaded3923a5ca12338dc739.png (emphasis on the disjoint ones)

"Cross" at 40% almost pulls it off, until this happens when the sheath-column tapers out:

image.png.f573e4727ae56b88538639ee77e5396c.png

image.png.3738c40c5a180359fae7c1fa4f6309e9.png

Those inner "wings" are only a couple layers from being supported, but it's just enough that they say and buckle the top 🙂

ZigZag gets really, really, really close on some percentages, but there's always something, and sometimes its quite drastic:

image.thumb.png.0570a8b0a13be16f1a68018e91245b82.png

image.thumb.png.9c80b832a60d91fe530846ee8f7696b5.png

Given most of these happen at the 196-197 transition, I get that it's most likely a problem with the model - but what? 🙂

Cura: 4.0.0-BETA

Ultimaker 3, PLA (Green), PVA (Natural), vanilla "Normal" config with support, w/ and w/out adaptive layers, prime tower, raft, no support interface, various support densities: support on extruder 2 (pva) and raft on either extruder.

Mount.3mf