UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released

ArunC

Posted · UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released

Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

Open print files directly from Thingiverse

Since the merger of Ultimaker and MakerBot in 2022, we have had two of the most popular 3D printing services, Cura and Thingiverse together under one roof. While Cura has received regular updates since the merger with several major new features, updates to Thingiverse on the other hand have mostly been focused on quality-of-life improvements and small but impactful features that have been eagerly requested by users. However, we always knew that a key long-term goal for us was to bring Cura and Thingiverse closer together in ways that make it easier for our users to combine both services into one seamless workflow. Today’s release takes the first step towards achieving that goal.

Users can now open files in Cura directly from Thingiverse with a single click, making it easier than ever to move from choosing a file to preparing that file for printing. 

-IhxqcoPVlNpvfrndfH4U5iYhM83un4_PRIG4ret8O8qE0xpMVtV42UbcPs9s0cY4waAnLutptOuHE80umycYokwufe4Dt2Dd-ip2m8VNSHkAoSOR0w-sDbtSckO7laQluQMu5rgrsLgvY1gOS6Ky68

Users can now open files directly from Thingiverse using a new “Open in Cura” button that can be found on all compatible file types which includes models that use the STL, 3MF, and OBJ file extension. Doing so will load the file into Cura just as if you had downloaded it and opened it normally with the added advantage that no file is actually added to your downloads folder, meaning that the avid printers among you no longer have to worry about dozens of 3D models clogging up your download folder. 

Share print settings using Universal Cura Projects

Cura 5.7 introduces a way to share both models and print settings using a new printer-agnostic project file format called Universal Cura Projects (UCP). With UCP files you can select which settings you want to include from a list of over 40 print settings that are common across nearly all printers. 

Slicing a model and printing a model correctly is not always easy and receiving an STL for a model with no guidance on which settings to use can be a pain. One alternative to that is to use a project file such as a 3MF which can contain additional metadata such as the print settings that the user who exported the project file chose to include. However, not all of the settings that can be included in a 3MF are universally applicable to all printers. If you are not using the exact same make and model of printer, there is a chance you will get a failed print or that you could even damage your printer. 

UCP files solve this problem by limiting the settings that can be included to only those that are safe when used across different FDM printers while also giving clear guidance when being exported and loaded as to which settings are included. 

There are 40 allowed settings that can be included in a UCP export and you can find a full list of what they are here. They include commonly modified settings such as those that control supports, infill, and build plate adhesion.

UCP projects do still use the .3mf file extension but they can be identified using the UCP icon that can be found in the top left corner of the image preview for any UCP file. An example of which can be found on the left-most file in the image below.

Poh-gucktlTcSPqfjjjp4439ru9Ty7G6p95DuaQbo3NbQ95BsUTOitqiCPHDU5l_CrqfHB8zzgUzOcHMgxx1FbHIjmcFMvJZA7xebdKZMzt5iNwTNMAdZAQb390r1pSDFknthVEcLtfEgTX9tSLPyhY

Cura will also recognize a UCP file when it’s opened and it will give you the option of importing the model into Cura as a Universal Cura Project or just opening it as a regular Cura project. 

5s_WR7rW9QjyLtqcq6zpYlO0ID9DTMoTmdCsyvEl3GXPgxqJJAc-G5oPcRU-DmIqBbjyVHbTsxhgB9DoINp8NmEUqnL_2n8D_7d3OEpCFOWbz9qHgYQ-XBXNSMLj_Vd2hbkKAspqhbvnx8ZH8-owxUE

If you choose to open the file as a UCP, you will then be presented with a screen that shows you which settings were included by the creator. In the top right corner, you can then select the printer on which you want to open the model. This will overwrite the settings on the printer and remove any models already loaded on the buildplate.

jkxg74s7P89fchet-nglbKMWmKPLUjOTTsmJMj8_KWDZUGJRXIxWN-AqCAn5lImYtdieo5tpy60UX8vbBU1ea13pAbzWmu6DJXUtoFJ3314wcF8_V4sdAC7bIkorX4ws-i6tukOuwi6l2mxk2r88cME

Cloud printing and more for Method series printers 

Both the Method X and Method XL now fully support cloud printing using the UltiMaker Digital Factory. This completes the introduction of these printers into Cura that was started in the Previous 5.6 release, meaning that both our S series and Method series users are now able to make full use of all the workflow benefits that Cura and the Digital Factory provide. 

Those benefits include the ability to send sliced prints either directly to a network-connected Method printer from Cura over the cloud or to a Digital Factory library. If using the Digital Factory, users are then able to store and organize their files, monitor ongoing prints, collaborate using shared workspaces, and more!

MSu1OFPb0BQb3dMovbukubaooa7LcyT_1YJGYsfXqyMZ6z8VlZdWcga3rScM4Da76c8pmBaDzebPOygQjKqdD8LBvXeaFFlCZcm4_dz00n0JaRL0-mEYlvDPCTMKvmibfNDPMQYdE4kHm4zSD43PRAw 

In addition to cloud printing with Method series printers, there are also three new material profiles being added for Method XL in this release, they are ASA, Nylon12-CF, and SR-30.

ASA combines the strength properties of ABS with added UV and moisture resistance. Nylon12-CF is a carbon fiber composite with an excellent strength-to-weight ratio, high stiffness, and brilliant heat resistance, making it a powerful replacement for parts that would normally be made from metal. Finally, SR-30 is a dissolvable support material that pairs well with ABS and other high-temperature materials.  

Automated reports enable better analysis of failed slicing

We have also rolled out a new tool that allows for better analysis and tracking of failed slices within Cura. From now on, when a crash occurs during slicing, a log that contains any encountered errors will automatically be sent to our support team so that they can diagnose the reason for the crash. This will hugely improve our internal process for identifying and fixing bugs and we expect it will help us prioritize and ultimately solve the issues that lead to failed slices. 

If you do experience regular crashes, make sure to reach out to our support team who can now consult your crash logs to help troubleshoot the issue <https://support.ultimaker.com/s/contactsupport>. Finally, if you do not want your crash logs to be automatically sent to our support team, you can disable data sharing by going to the Preferences menu and unticking the "Send engine crash reports" in the Privacy section.

_FLpKm_FEODmhVKAzG7MC3wMS9YTh97PgSFyoKIOT17Kw6h2Y0qStwZgd-z6dKUXgefS4X67-M3iMpcvBovXXYQTPCxiwUthvgfTlFbeKCYks_PfOTOjBN5nS9uXCFz2p5zMJ60R1KfNa_Z6_dQu1Q0

Additional improvements 

The following improvements have also been implemented in the Cura 5.7 stable release:

• Faster slicing of complex models

• Additional settings for customizing rafts

• Ability to manually define the print sequence when printing multiple models at once

• Various bug fixes

• And much more!

Check out the full release notes on GitHub for a complete list of changes.

Give us your feedback 

Download this latest release to start discovering new 3D printing possibilities right now and download the new featured model for this release at Thingiverse! And, as always, please leave a comment below to let us know what you think!

• Like 1

Bugs resolved since the Beta Release
- Resolved some crashes when opening project files
- Resolved the biggest crashes coming in via the analyzing tool in the cura engine
- Added links to support pages for Method materials to help find the best material compatibility
- Introduced several visual improvements for the loading Universal Cura Projects window
- Universal Cura Projects will now be opened in the center of the buildplate
- Fixed file association for stl, obj, 3mf, gcode, and ufp for MacOS
- MacOS users can now open multiple files in a row
- The support type is now updated in recommended when it’s changed in custom
- The skirt height is now generated on the innermost skirt instead of the outermost skirt again
- Fixed the skirt distance for dual extrusion printers
- The Brim Only Inside setting will not generate a brim when it’s not defined
- Some improvements related to the fractional Support Z-Height
- Improved handling of a fractional layer with tree support, contributed by @ThomasRahm

Tips for using the Universal Cura Projects on Thingiverse

1. When you are finished with your Universal Cura Project, we recommend starting a new project to reset the settings that came with the project. You can do this by clicking File > New Project. 

Addaheading(7).thumb.png.7b8a95772a0d5adeca282b96c5c9e81d.png

2. If you want to open multiple files from Thingiverse on a single buildplate. You might have to change some default settings in your preferences. You can do this by clicking Preferences > Configure Cura. Scroll down to enable the setting  Use a single instance of Cura and disable Clear buildplate before loading model into the single instance
Addaheading(6).thumb.png.24571d5d427fc11dddb9d2c5a50b215b.png

• Like 1

Will Ultimaker eventually Digitally Sign this software? In my workplace we have protection software that does not allow unsigned exe files to run, which means every time a new release of cura is available i then have to contact It and get it put onto an allowed list.

• Like 1

Just now, Photosam said:

Permanent error my Cura 5.7 :
Elegoo Neptune 4 NOT VISIBLE IN PRINTER LIST !!!!!!

Then ask Elegoo why its not listed.
Its not UltiMaker's responsibility to add it.. all 3rd party printers are added by the Manufacture or their community. 
UltiMaker does not actively produce 3rd party profiles.

If a profile is missing.. the fault is with the Manufacturer and their community.

Just installed and setup the Cura 5.7 with my custom visibility settings, plugins, and printer settings.. 

Unless I am doing something wrong, it does not export/import the custom print settings using the Universal Cura Settings option for my Longer LK5 Pro printer..

Giving me this pop up.

It does export / import the visibility settings to my second PC so I don't have to go through that long winded process..

Also it is not allowing me to save / export my printer settings as an HTML File using 5axes HTML export plugin that has worked on previous versions of Cura..

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/5axes/HTMLCuraSettings

I am including the UCP, and project file..

ScreenShot_20240417123113.png

ScreenShot_20240417123933.png

UCP_.3mf

Also Cura 5.7 does not list the Voxelab FDM Printer in the non-networked printer list, Unless It's under a different brand name that I am not familiar with..

8 minutes ago, jlspeeddragon said:

Also Cura 5.7 does not list the Voxelab FDM Printer in the non-networked printer list, Unless It's under a different brand name that I am not familiar with..

On 4/10/2024 at 7:39 AM, Dustin said:

Then ask Elegoo why its not listed.
    Its not UltiMaker's responsibility to add it.. all 3rd party printers are added by the Manufacture or their community. 
    UltiMaker does not actively produce 3rd party profiles.

If a profile is missing.. the fault is with the Manufacturer and their community.

Posted (edited) · UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released

Cool, but can you disable notifications (!) and stop scaling models like it's impossible to figure out unit conversions?

Why is it that when I export from BLENDER(!), as a .stl, at "1.0" scale, in millimeters... and then go into Cura... and it can't import it worth any damn? I have to have "scale models" checked in the Cura settings... and then... it will scale the small models... too large (10x) size. Just stop scaling, but import it at the scale it's at! Millimeters... at 1.0 scale. Why is that so hard? Why is it so hard to add an option to 'disable all notifications or warnings'? So annoying.

Edited by rw3iss

That's a pretty good rant.

No CAD programs know anything about "units" in the sense of millimeters, inches, whatever.  A number is simply a number.

When you draw a single line and then "offset" or "copy" it over to the side "1.00" away, the CAD app doesn't care if it's 1 nanometer or 1 lightyear.  It just knows that the distance between the two lines is 1.00.

A program like Blender may have a standard unit which might be centimeters or feet or millimeters or inches.  Ya just don't know what it does internally or what effect the export utility might have.

When you bring a model into Cura and have to scale it to get it to the correct size, then the "scale" that the model was exported at wasn't likely millimeters but something else.  If you happen to end up at standard scales like "2540%" or "3.94% give clues as to what the "units" of the imported model might be.

One of the features of the Cura Mesh Tools plugin is an option for the default scale that models are imported at.  After installing Mesh Tools you can find it under "Extensions / Mesh Tools" and then "Mesh Tools Settings".

As for notifications, I agree there are too many mundane notices but I think there aren't enough informative ones as well.  Some sort of clue as to why my settings won't allow a slice would be good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

That's a pretty good rant.

No CAD programs know anything about "units" in the sense of millimeters, inches, whatever.  A number is simply a number.

When you draw a single line and then "offset" or "copy" it over to the side "1.00" away, the CAD app doesn't care if it's 1 nanometer or 1 lightyear.  It just knows that the distance between the two lines is 1.00.

A program like Blender may have a standard unit which might be centimeters or feet or millimeters or inches.  Ya just don't know what it does internally or what effect the export utility might have.

When you bring a model into Cura and have to scale it to get it to the correct size, then the "scale" that the model was exported at wasn't likely millimeters but something else.  If you happen to end up at standard scales like "2540%" or "3.94% give clues as to what the "units" of the imported model might be.

One of the features of the Cura Mesh Tools plugin is an option for the default scale that models are imported at.  After installing Mesh Tools you can find it under "Extensions / Mesh Tools" and then "Mesh Tools Settings".

As for notifications, I agree there are too many mundane notices but I think there aren't enough informative ones as well.  Some sort of clue as to why my settings won't allow a slice would be good.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Morning woes when I am constantly wanting to love/utilize the program, but not become a pro at clicking notifications, aha.

Anyway thanks for explaining that, and the plugin suggestion. I was going to ask/suggest... if it's not a solvable problem, then at least we can do is "help" it, in an easier way than not. I'll check out the Mesh Tools, sounds nice...

I think I was somewhat aware of the unit/conversion issue, especially regarding STLs and more generic formats. Hrm, please forgive my abrasive questioning then 😉

I guess the simplest idea would be to add two int and string settings in Cura... for 'default scale', and 'default units'. Most of the time I think we're all dealing with the same in each of our projects, as we like to work. 

DOWN WITH NOTIFICATIONS! 😉

Edited by rw3iss

11 hours ago, rw3iss said:

DOWN WITH NOTIFICATIONS!

I notice you mention blender... I use freecad. i don't get any notifications unless my models are completely unusable (which is more common than I care to admit). maybe the problem isn't in Cura? 

I've had occasions when I've exported an STL from Cura, opened it in MS3D Builder to make some adjustments, and then saved it (inadvertently) as a 3mf model.  When I open that 3mf in Cura the model comes in converted to centimeters instead of millimeters so it's 10 times bigger than expected.  It's annoying, but only takes a second to fix.

Wherever the problem is, whether it's something that Cura should know, or a consistency in translating/exporting utility's of other apps, if two programs are talking apples and oranges there is going to be a scale issue.  I don't know that it's fixable.

That being said, when I export a model from AutoCad and it was drawn in Inches, it comes into Cura needing to be scaled to 2540%.  That's expected behavior.  When I export a Benchy and it comes back the size of the Queen Elizabeth II it is unexpected behavior.

In the case of Blender, it isn't really a CAD program but was intended for video game object design where models would not be required to be "watertight".  You can use it, but you need to be careful that when you output the model it is watertight and all the surfaces are facing the right direction.

• Like 2

For your information, the HMTLCuraSettings plugin is no longer compatible with Cura version 5.7. 

[Edit]: Remove the link to the plugin on the marketplace.

Edited by Cuq

Hi @Cuq

Cause of this message?

"The given author does not exist."

Yes sorry,  As it is not anymore compatible I've removed it from the Marketplace.  

5.7 wont save the temperature settings for my ender 3 v3 SE and 5.6 takes forever to slice some things

When you say "won't save the temperature settings for my ender 3 v3 SE" what exactly do you mean?  The temperature comes from the material but can be overridden with a Custom Setting Profile.