Adding Material Profiles to Ultimaker 3

msadmin

Posted · Adding Material Profiles to Ultimaker 3

So I've been experimenting with the (4) Ultimaker 3's that we have at the University of the Arts Makerspace. I have successfully added a material profile via the API cluster, however there are still issues with actually selecting this material profile and using it by printing over the network.

My goal is to have the available configurations and colors visible in cura when printing over the network from the computers that we have setup in our lab. This works with the Ultimaker branded materials since they auto select when the RFID chip is read. The problem comes from adding a new profile for a specific brand, since there is no way to still use "PLA" as the material type, since it will just automatically set it to "Generic" when picking PLA. I can work around this by adding a new material type, but this will get very redundant if I have to add a type for every color.

Ideally there would be a way to select the material type on the printer, and then select the brand. This obviously works with the RFID reader and Ultimaker materials, but I'm wondering if there is a way to have the user interface on the machine go into another sub menu (just like in Cura).

I realize that I can set the brand/color/material via the API as well, but this is cumbersome without a custom built application. It would be much easier if there was a way to select it on the machine during the material loading process.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks,

Noah

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies