Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
Nicolinux

YouMagine iPhone app

Hi,

I just noticed that Thingiverse released an iPhone app a few days ago. It is nice and all but I do miss the commenting feature. I wonder why the skipped it.

This got me thinking, since YouMagine is all about collaboration and there is no collaboration without communication wouldn't an app with this feature make sense for YouMagine? I mean as nice as the web interface is right now, ideas tend to pop up at funny and random times e.g. when not sitting in front of a computer. So anything that fosters collaboration would be an important addition to YouMagine right? Besides having the community "in your pocket" so to speak, creates a nice feeling of belonging to it.

And there is also something else. As you already know, I am a huge fan of OctoPrint (which started as a fork of Cura and where the developer uses an Ultimaker too). I love the idea of having the Ultimaker print happily in its corner while I can watch from afar (remotely via wifi). This feature built into a possible YouMagine app would be killer.

One would still need a Raspberry Pi and a web cam, but honestly - those hip enough to fancy a 3D printer are also easily seduced by the potential of a tiny and cheap Linux box (the Raspberry Pi) so this wouldn't be a problem. And who knows, maybe there will be an addon from Ultimaker containing just that (or a tiny Arduino board with a wifi shield and a tiny cam).

So, what do you think?

Yes I know, it is a bit silly. I am an iOS developer pitching the idea for an iPhone app... I'd love to create one, but not in my free time. That's already reserved for playing with the Ultimaker :)