Can i order my ultimaker with color ?

Posted · Can i order my ultimaker with color ?

i have seen some great photos with ultimakers in blue, red, yellow etc.

is this done privatly by the new users ?

or can this be ordered, when the ULTI guys are laser cutting up the pieces ?

Ian :D

Nope, you have to color it yourself. Those colored ultimakers where made in the ultimaker class they did.

Once you get your ultimaker kit, I suggest you color it. I didn't and I kinda feel I should have.

Nope, you have to color it yourself. Those colored ultimakers where made in the ultimaker class they did.

Once you get your ultimaker kit, I suggest you color it. I didn't and I kinda feel I should have.

ok, little extra question ?

when i have the kit.

what is the best strategy for coloring it ?

spray paint up the parts ? that sounds dangerous ?

Ian

First, only color the wooden parts. You don't want any paint on moving parts. Next, you don't want a thick layer of paint because then the kit won't fit.

From my experience, spray paint is pretty hard to get nice without some practice. So I wouldn't go for that myself. Also, the printer head comes pre-assembled. Just don't paint it. Taking it apart is quite troublesome.

Mini guide: Paint all parts, let them dry, see if they fit, sand where needed, assemble ultimaker.

The extruder is not pre-built anymore, so you will have the opportunity to paint it too.

The easiest is to paint before it it laser cut, but some of you might not have the luxury of having a large lasercutter handy. In that case, sand the stuff while it is still in the material it was cut from. One side is pretty smoked, try to get that off. The comes the problem of the cut sides. The have a smoke residue on them which makes it harder to take paint. You can use that to your advantage by wiping off any paint that gets onto it inadvertently. In my experience a water based paint (PU dispersion) works best, but alkyd based ones will also work. Sand the fibres down after drying and apply another layer. Try not to touch the smokey sides and wipe the paint off if it does. Usually paint layers are measured in microns, that should not be a problem for fitting, the design is flexible with the thickness of the wood (which is not very constant traditionally).

After painting, you can clean the brown sides with a green scouring pad/sponge, this will keep your hands a little cleaner when building.

can you please show us some photos of your biuld and the colours used.

I would love to do my ultimaker with blue and white, but i am so scared that when the pictures are coated, something will just jam or not fit.

I would love to hear from the ultimaker guys, if the possibility of having the ultimaker laser cut from a colored material was possible ?

Ian :D

I had very good results painting mine with spray paint. I preassembled most of the multi-layer components, so paint buildup would not be an issue. Plus, the laser cut markings remained perfectly legible. The surface quality of the Krylon Hammerite paint I used depends a lot on temperature, humidity, spray direction, etc., but I was very happy with the results I got. See it here: www.all1word.com/ultimaker