Material Flow Issue? Platform Issue? Gantry Issue?

Posted (edited) · Material Flow Issue? Platform Issue? Gantry Issue?

I have had an Ultimaker 2 for many years now. I decided to upgrade my printer with the 2+ kit mostly in an attempt to better push flexible filaments as those were always troublesome. Ever since the upgrade, my printer hasn't quite been as turn-key as it was before. Check out the photo. In the front-left corner of this print, you'll notice a nice amount of material put down on this first layer but move just a bit to the right and it gets VERY thin (sometimes no material hits the platform at all). Look a little more to the right and then it's almost too much material. Not pictured, but if you keep going right and there is another thin spot and on the far right it's very thick.

I have re-leveled the platform countless times. I am printing with ColorFabb XT and have used this material pretty much since it came out. While it took a little bit to get dialed in and printing perfectly when I first switched to it from standard PLA, I haven't had any issues since very early on with it. I was VERY heavy into printing when I first got my Ultimaker so I'm not a complete noob; however, I made this upgrade a year or two ago and haven't printed much since because this has been so frustrating and I haven't had a ton of time to troubleshoot.

My question is, did I mangle something with the print-head installation? Could this be a gantry/rod/alignment issue? Is there something wrong with this newer feeder that isn't pushing material consistently? I doubt it's an issue with the print-head itself. Again, I haven't been using my printer much since I did this upgrade because of this issue and I'm trying to get back into it.

Sometimes the issue doesn't really matter and subsequent layers go over it just fine and the print succeeds... however, especially with thinner prints, this can be quite an issue.

IMG_20200426_131726.jpg

Edited by mghtbgiant
clarification