Can i stop printing, add a different thin layer made of same polymer with hand ; and keep printing on that layer

denizskb

Posted · Can i stop printing, add a different thin layer made of same polymer with hand ; and keep printing on that layer

Hello everyone, im starting new to 3d printing. Im trying to design a scaffold for tissue engineering.

Is it possible that if i can stop printing and add another different material on top of my print with the same polymer ( very thin layer like 0.3 mm) and than keep printing on that layer in that specific height 0.3mm. I dont want to harm this layer in between so i  should start from a specific  height . I want to ask that if it is possible in some way. Thanks 

Posted · Can i stop printing, add a different thin layer made of same polymer with hand ; and keep printing on that layer

Yes.  It is the typical way to change colors.  The two filaments (your polymers) should be the same material.  For example:  PLA will not stick to PETG in any meaningful fashion.

The easiest way is to to do an entire layer.

In Cura select "Extensons", "Post-Processing" and "Modify Gcode".  Add the Script PauseAtHeight twice.

Fill in the information for the first Pause at Height at the layer you want to pause the print to change filament.  Fill in the second pause at height with the re-start layer information so you can go back to the original filament.  There is a box there for "Gcode before pause".  Stick an M300 in there and the machine will beep when it pauses.

I don't bother with the extrusion setting.  When the machine pauses, I just yank out the old filament and push the new one in by hand until the color changes (changing to white will take a bit) and then hit the button on the LCD to resume.  A little practice is helpful before committing to your real part.

44 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

Yes.  It is the typical way to change colors.  The two filaments (your polymers) should be the same material.  For example:  PLA will not stick to PETG in any meaningful fashion.

The easiest way is to to do an entire layer.

In Cura select "Extensons", "Post-Processing" and "Modify Gcode".  Add the Script PauseAtHeight twice.

Fill in the information for the first Pause at Height at the layer you want to pause the print to change filament.  Fill in the second pause at height with the re-start layer information so you can go back to the original filament.  There is a box there for "Gcode before pause".  Stick an M300 in there and the machine will beep when it pauses.

I don't bother with the extrusion setting.  When the machine pauses, I just yank out the old filament and push the new one in by hand until the color changes (changing to white will take a bit) and then hit the button on the LCD to resume.  A little practice is helpful before committing to your real part.

Thank you very much, i will try that.