Machine Settings / Firmware for 3d touch

yinzer

Posted · Machine Settings / Firmware for 3d touch

Hello everyone,

I would love to try out the cura software on my bfb 3d touch dual extruder. Does anyone know if my machine is supported?

Most of you already know the state of affairs with bfb and cubex which left all of us who bought bfb printers high and dry. I am currently using kisslicer, but the developer has disappeared and is no longer supporting the software development.

I am looking for an alternative and although I dont own a Ultimaker, I would enjoy the oppertunity to contribute to this community.

Best Regards,

Yinzer

Johnathan from KISSlicer started KISSlicer because of the lack of support from bfb for his older machine. I have no idea what is happened to him, but I'm pretty sure he did not disappeared easy. I think he might got overwhelmed by something personal.

Note, I could not have made the CuraEngine without his help.

But, bad news from me. Cura is build around "5D" printing, which the BFB firmware does not support.

Thank you so much for the response! I am sorry to hear that the 3d touch is not supported. I also share your concern about johnathan and have tried to contact him to see if there was anything I could do to help him.

Hopefully there will be a workaround someday so that we bfb guys can use cura.

Thanks

Yinzer

I do not know if there is some BFB community out there, but maybe you can reach out to someone who can help in getting BFB support in Cura. Or someone in the Netherlands who can give me access to one.

I'm quite willing to add support for BFB machine, it took a quick look and it is a bit complex. But in honor of Jonathan and KISSlicer I'm willing to invest time for this.

Daid, I have posted a topic in the Kisslicer refugee camp and am hoping that someone is located in the netherlands that owns a bfb. I know that Penskeguy has the same machine as me but i believe he is located in the us. Thank you so much for your consideration!

G'day fellow makers,

I'm currently looking at a 3D Touch owned by my local TAFE, (Technical College).

The absence of ongoing support for this machine is of considerable concern.

I have to say that I never thought much of 3D systems using this strange bfb format.

Am I correct in my undersatanding that they switched from an open gcode format to this closed proprietary file format?

Was there some benefit to this that I'm unaware of?

In anycase does anybody know if the controller board for the 3D Touch is capable of running Marlin or Sprinter Firmware?

If not, can somebody assist me in determining the pin outs to produce some adaptor cables to connect the 3D Touch hardware to a ramps 1.4 board?

I managed to get Cura to work with a 3D Touch.

The current CuraEngine (I use Cura 14.09) generates almost usable files for the 3D Touch: it generates "M001" codes that you need to change into "M101", and the text format needs to be "ms-dos" (on my mac, it generates "unix" style text files). This is easy to fix using a text editor; I filed bug reports for those 2 things and they were promptly fixed by the CuraEngine maintainer so I expect that the next Cura version will generate files that the 3D Touch likes without the need for manual fixup in a text editor.

The only (rather strange) thing left to do is to set the "Filament Flow" to 4700%. For some reason, the "reasonable" settings cause the 3D Touch to extrude almost no plastic. Rather strange, but it works, and given the advantages versus Axon (Cura works also on non-Windows machines and slicing times are expressed in seconds and not in tens of minutes), who cares? ;) The only noticeable effect of this strange stuff is that you have to divide the amount of grams that Cura tells you by 47 (for example, Cura thinks my 6 gram model will weith 283 grams); I only tested this on one model but the result seems in the correct range.

Happy printing!

The latest RC from: http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

Contains the fixes I did for the BFB style printers.

Thanks daid will try it tonight.

Okay, so I tried to run it and my machine says error at line 19. I cant figure out how to attach the two files for comparison, the "my media" thing leads me no where. So Ill copy and paste the first bit of each.

14.11-rc8:

M190 S70.000000

^Firmware:V1.07

^Checksum: NO

G21

G90

# Select Extruder 1

M104 S230

M542

M551 P2000 S100

M543

M227 P163 S230

M228 P0 S163

;enable auto-retraction

M227 S896 P896

;Layer count: 49

;LAYER:0

M107

M103

G1 X-53.767 Y-14.890 Z0.200 F4500.0

;TYPE:SKIRT

M108 S28.8

M101

G1 X-54.665 Y-15.009 Z0.200 F2100.3

G1 X-54.665 Y-15.008 Z0.200 F2100.3

G1 X-57.259 Y-15.347 Z0.200 F2100.3

G1 X-58.392 Y-15.817 Z0.200 F2100.3

G1 X-60.809 Y-16.819 Z0.200 F2100.3

14.03-test2(this one runs)

^Firmware:V1.07

^Checksum: NO

G21

G90

# Select Extruder 1

M104 S230

M542

M551 P2000 S100

M543

M227 P163 S230

M228 P0 S163

;enable auto-retraction

M227 S896 P896

;Layer count: 49

;LAYER:0

M107

G1 X-28.51 Y-2.75 Z0.20 F4500.0

G1 X-28.51 Y-2.75 Z0.20 F4500.0

;TYPE:SKIRT

M108 S288.0

M101

G1 X-29.41 Y-2.86 Z0.20 F2100.3

G1 X-32.02 Y-3.20 Z0.20 F2100.3

G1 X-35.58 Y-4.68 Z0.20 F2100.3

G1 X-36.54 Y-5.42 Z0.20 F2100.3

G1 X-38.61 Y-7.01 Z0.20 F2100.3

Bump

yinzer, I decided this trouble writing translator. It pre-alpha version, but it work with printer and work with two extruders. Unfortunately all messages on russian. If these interest you, I can do the translation.

Clearly the bed temperature line should not be in there:

"M190 S70.000000"

You might want to set the bed temperature to 0 to see what happens.

Note that BFB support is highly experimental, and fully relies on feedback from users that are willing to experiment.

Note that BFB support is highly experimental, and fully relies on feedback from users that are willing to experiment.

This support includes BFB Cube or higer, for 3D Touch is unsuitable on extruding speed.

Hey Guys, I'm really interested in Cura for bfb.

I've try the experimental version of cura for bfb, I got error at line 19.

It was because of M103 mean turn extruder off, and it was not turn on yet

I removed that line and it worked.

But it didn't print in dual color as as i asked to cura asked

It tryed to preheat the extruders one at the time, and when heating one the other cool down.

Until got an error message

It asked if I want to continue and it printed in one color.

Also I search for M208 wich is setting extruder 2 speed, and there was no such command in the file.

Is it ready for dual extruders ?

Hello. I also have a 3D Touch with 3 extruders.

I do not get printed with CURA, but put a single extruder. Always get error in a row ...

Is there an updated version that generates no errors bfb files?

The machine we have for use by university students, and would appreciate it if you give us help.

Thank You

Hi

I have a similar problem with the printer BFB 3000 , uses the same settings for the second extruder .

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/10546-cura-with-bfb-printers/

can we pull request together?

My problem is that I do not get the settings for the first extruder. Always appears error in line ...

What is the Star.Gcode and End.Gcode in CURA that allows printing with an extruder.?

I can try to print a file after two extruders

Thank you

Hej Daid

It's quite long that this blog exist. I'm curious if there is now a way to use CURA to print on an bfb 3DTouch ? That would be awsome!

Thanks a lot! Marco

I do not know if there is some BFB community out there, but maybe you can reach out to someone who can help in getting BFB support in Cura. Or someone in the Netherlands who can give me access to one.

I'm quite willing to add support for BFB machine, it took a quick look and it is a bit complex. But in honor of Jonathan and KISSlicer I'm willing to invest time for this.