problem with cura

italianmaxx

Posted · problem with cura

Hello, I use netfabb engine but I wish to try cura and printrun. I installed it on 2 different pc, a core duo with xp and a core duo with win7 64bit. on the first one everything seems ok, on my win7 64bit machin (My UM is connected to this pc...) When I unzip the cura package and launch the cura.bat file, a command windows appears for a flash (it read something like can't find such directory... or similar) and nothing happens.

Only when I unzipped the cura package INTO my skeinpypy folder cura.bat seems to work BUT...

When I load an object nothing appears in the graphic window. THe 3d button or the TOP button don't work and I can't see the object. If I try the 'slice to gcode' something appears in the command window and it seems that the softwar is working, no gcode is produced and nothing is readt to print (if I use the print gcode button nothing happens...)

please help me, Netfabb is good but I wish to have some test with cura/printrun.

thanks

Cura doesn't contain a nice release package yet. The "Download as zip" button you most likely used contains the development version. So I'm surprised that you got it to start at all, must have required some thinkering.

Did you see any exception trace after you loaded the 3D model? And which model did you load? (the development version contains a new STL loader, which is faster, but might contain a bug)

The print button doesn't do anything if there is no GCode.

EDIT: I created a release canidate for Cura.

https://github.com/downloads/daid/Cura/Cura_RC1.exe

yes...

and the videocard driver are updated. I know it's strange...

if you want to know something else about my pc ask me freely.

anyway I have an SSD, 3 HDD, a DVDRW, a reclusa keyboard and a smple usb mouse.

No errors in the system/hardware and anything else works good.

:cry: :cry:

I'm quite happy with NFabb but I really wish to try CURA and partecipate to its development with some tests.

thanks Daid

Not sure how good you are with changing a text file. But the file "preview3d.py" contains the line "OpenGL.ERROR_CHECKING = False" at the top, if you can change that to "OpenGL.ERROR_CHECKING = True" then the dos box might show errors about what's going wrong. (having error checking enabled makes the 3D window a lot slower I noticed)

We're lucky, i'm a quite good ex-programmer so changing some text wouldn't be a problem. I am going to try this one and report you the errors.

thanks ;)

Awesome.

Also, is the graphic window black or gray? Black could indicate that it does some OpenGL stuff, but gray means it doesn't draw anything.

the window is black, but the white grid ( I saw that on another pc...) doesn't appear nor the object I load.

Maybe I have to modify something in the OPENGL setiing of my ati card, but I remember I leave all the opengl settings untouched after installation of my videocard drivers.

I just tried to set glerrorchecking = TRUE but the dos box shows nothing. of course the preview3d is still black... :cry:

more:

If I try to enlarge the window (maximizing it or just some cm with the mous, the preview window doesn't refresh and the graphics remain like garbage on the enlarged preview window

MAY DAY !

MAY DAY !

Any advice on HOW to solve the 'black screen' problem in the 3d preview window of CURA ?

Latest directx installed

latest video driver (ati) installed

win 7 64 bit (aero disabled)

at this time, after having disabled 'aero' desktop the 3d preview window seems to refresh (it show no garbage when maximized) but no 3d graphic inside, only a discouraging black... :-(

The black screen after aero disable could also be that the "frame buffer" used for the preview window now just contained black pixels.

I find it odd that it doesn't report any error. There where a few problems with getting the MacOS 3D preview to work. But that thew errors.

I'm not sure how willing you are to test things, but could you try to put a:

print "OnDraw"

In the draw routing? Just search for "def OnDraw(self):" in preview3d.py, and put the print on the next line. It should show the print message in the dosbox then when it tries to update the screen.

Daid, I really thank you or your effort, I know that this is a problem inside my PC and not a problem on CURA, I tried cura on 3 different pc and it works like a dream on them.

I will try the 'print 'onDraw' ' just to see if something happens...

thank you very much.

the preview windows for sure is refreshing, after having inserted the 'print ondraw' line, on the python screen appears the text at every single movement of (attempted movemente of) zoom or pan or orbit in the preveiw window.

I don't know... I read something about the gltranslate but nothing useful to my non python mind...

glTranslate has something to do with OpenGL. But I'm quite experienced with OpenGL, so I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything odd there...

I'm sure your code is correct and fully functional, the problem is on my side but I can't imagine what to tweak to solve it. tha ati catalyst control center doesn't give access but to a few parameters regarding opengl. Anyway I tried cura and printrun and it worked also without the 3d preview...

Something to change about top layer, but it printed very well.

Suddenly CURA starts working!!! I disinstalled some app from my pc and now IT WORKS!!! I can enjoy the full 3d preview!!! Software is often a mistery...

I downloaded and installed Cura on my pc.

I uploaded firmware - seemed to be ok

I ran the installation pages of Cura

BUT the heating element did not function, so I could not test the extrusion length or move forward

Checking, the heating element works with ReplicatorG24

Why does it not work with Cura?

Thanks, EM

I downloaded and installed Cura on my pc.

I uploaded firmware - seemed to be ok

I ran the installation pages of Cura

BUT the heating element did not function, so I could not test the extrusion length or move forward

Checking, the heating element works with ReplicatorG24

Why does it not work with Cura?

Thanks, EM

The Extrude 100mm does not work in RC2 (as pr. cura wiki)

I think you don't have access to heating element in cura, you have access to it in printrun. there you can start the heating element and check the temp manually or with the checkbox (monitor temp) and of course start the print of your object sliced and prepared in CURA.

ahhhh the smell of flowing PLA in the morning....

The Extrude 100mm does not work in RC2 (as pr. cura wiki)

The "machine check" also has an issue in RC2. So you better skip it. I hope to find some time to sit down and fix it soon to release an RC3.