Cura 5.2.1 initial bottom layer issue?

Mhsmith76

Posted · Cura 5.2.1 initial bottom layer issue?

Hey All, I'm trying to print some parts with no top or bottom skins, but it seems like Cura always wants to include the initial bottom layers even when that setting is set to zero (I have bottom layers set to 2 because there are raised sections that need a skin, but I don't want one on the buildplate). Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing, or is this as designed?

I did also notice that the experimental Slicing Tolerance setting can affect this - if Initial Bottom Layers is set to zero, then no initial skin will be generated if the Slicing Tolerance is set to Middle or Inclusive, but it will be generated regardless of the value when Slicing Tolerance is set to Exclusive (setting Initial Bottom Layers to a value other than zero will generate initial skins for all Slicing Tolerance options). Unfortunately I need to set the tolerance to Exclusive because there are thin wall details that don't get generated otherwise (model is one of the P38 Lightning RC airplane fuselage parts from 3DLabPrint for those who are wondering).

The first attached picture shows the initial skin that I don't want in preview mode, while the 2nd picture shows the model view and the interior structure (and that the model appears hollow without top or bottom skins, but that's a separate quirk that may or may not be an issue with Cura).

Now I can get around this by slicing it twice (once with bottom layers and a second time without bottom layers), and then cut/paste the gcode afterwards, but I'd rather not have to do this if possible.

Any help, insight, pointers, and/or questions will be much appreciated, Thanks!

Cura-1.jpg

Cura-2.jpg