Travel Speed

3dprintingagency

Posted · Travel Speed

When Cura was upgraded to the 5.x path, the maximum Travel Speed was changed from 150mm/s to 120mm/s.

That makes for a HUGE jump in print times and is the reason I'm still on 4.13.1. ☹️

Could this either be changed back or could someone official at least explain why this was done?

Thanks,

Ron

Posted · Travel Speed

If you have a limitation it's not in Cura but in the printer definition. You can change this limitation but if your printer is in the official list they are a chance that you need to do it on every new installation. 

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Travel Speed

I don't believe that's true but please correct me if I'm wrong.

In 4.13.1 I'm able to set it to 150 (that's the max it will allow).

When I installed 5, it took my definitions from 4.13.1.

Now in 5.x I can't set it higher than 120.

Exact same printers and filament definitions in both situations.

Posted · Travel Speed

It's an issue with your printer configuration ..   I can fix a value of 300mm/s of 600mm/s if I want in cura

image.png.7a56fe4331de0ad47fd9fb5da1e1ce62.png

In cura the limitation for the maximum Travel Speed is define by

math.sqrt(machine_max_feedrate_x ** 2 + machine_max_feedrate_y ** 2)

So it's dependant of the  Maximum Speed X  &  Maximum Speed Y  .. Have a look in your printer settings and increase this value if you want to go upper this value.  So no it's not a Cura Limitation and if something as change it's a modification made on your printer specific configuration ( Which is not Ultimaker's responsibility if the machine does not come from them)

image.png.81756486b594426caa07d37faf3ccccc.png

Posted (edited) · Travel Speed

As you haven't give any information about your Printer I suppose that it's an Anycubic i3 Mega X and the culprit is called NilsRo https://github.com/NilsRo

That's the only printer limited to 120 mm/s  and  for them we have a modification between 4.13 and 5.0 

New definition :

"speed_travel": { "value": 100.0,  "maximum_value": 120.0 },

and he made the modification here : https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/commit/435e9a7924cda621eb04bd9048a09df05bd9cfd2   

So if you have any question ask him why he made this 'stupid' modification .   'Stupid' because at it is no longer linked with Maximum Speed X  &  Maximum Speed Y  you need now to modify this limit in the json file ( and certainly modify for every futur release of Cura) 

Edited by Cuq
    • Like 1