Y axis skipping steps only when I print ABS

Posted · Y axis skipping steps only when I print ABS

Hello everyone,

New here but not new to 3d printing. Been designing, making and printing several years now and never had any issues I could not solve myself.

This time I am stumped.

When printing PLA at normal PLA temperatures, the enclosure stays open as normal and everything goes swell. As soon as I start printing ABS, with nozzle temperature 250 and bed on 110, close the enclosure and after some time the Y axis starts skipping steps.

I already put a larger Y motor in the printer and reset the output of the driver to just below max. It should theoretically be ok at this setting.

But it still does it. When the printer is busy for lets say 30 minutes, it starts losing Y steps, but only on ABS at higher heat.

My machine is a CR10 SproV2. I am running a mains bed heater, so I am not drawing too much power from the main power supply.

I even designed and installed a new cooler duct that sucks cold air from outside the tent onto the main board. But no results, still skipping steps.

At one point I thought maybe the ABS is peeling off the bed too much, it sometimes warps like nothing else, which restricts the nozzle so it jams and loses steps. But I stayed with the printer in one event and I do not think this was the case. It skipped steps with a harsh click and the Y axis had shifted the layers by a few mm. The print was not warped at this point and there was nothing that blocked the nozzle's path.

Please fire away suggestions or questions, because I am hanging by my finger nails. I forgot to say that I have printed ABS many times before and with great success.

Tent temperature is registered in the top and is never above 35 degrees C. Obviously closer to the bed it is hotter, could this affect the electronics, despite the colder air I use for cooling?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

3dKees