Supports starting in mid air, difference v4.8 and v5.3

trevortjes

Posted · Supports starting in mid air, difference v4.8 and v5.3

Hi all,

So I made my first model and tried to slice it with Cura 5.3 (Ender3, stock settings on everything).

I noticed my model would collapse without supports so I checked the box for supports.

Now I noticed the supports starts printing in mid air which to me seems quite useless due to gravity.

startprint.thumb.PNG.26662cab2c337d6638bf2869f498e104.PNG

A colleague at work said that's quite odd behaviour for Cura and in turn ran the slicer in Cura 4.8 stock settings with the following results:

Cura 4.8 on the left, 5.3 on the right.

48v53.thumb.PNG.452dd61d9f9259c7945fb7ee5d80c30d.PNG

It just seems like 4.8 was a bit smarter with stock settings than 5.3, and I truly wonder what I have to change to make it also work well in 5.3 as I find it logical to just use the last stable release of a software package.