Inconsistent layers

Bute

Posted · Inconsistent layers

I have a couple of cylinders extruding from a box, the layers between the box and cylinder are not consistent with the rest of the print.

Fill is 100% - I'm looking for a solid part. Wall count is 20.

Any ideas why this happens, and what can be done about it?

20230504_113331.jpg

20230504_113343.jpg

20230504_113348.jpg

the weird printing only happens while there are retractions involved looks like. id try to dial in those settings... does it happen on similar instances where theres a retraction between two parts? maybe the parts are so small they are overheating from proximity of nozzle? (try external cooling fan / printing several at a time for cooling purposes)... Maybe its the STL check the preview see if its missing a layer right when the cylinders start. something is going on let us know what you find out

please supply a project file, load the stl into cure and set it up to slice, then goto file/save as project and post the .3mf.

The project file contains the stl and your printer settings.

7 hours ago, obewan said:

please supply a project file, load the stl into cure and set it up to slice, then goto file/save as project and post the .3mf.

The project file contains the stl and your printer settings.

Hi Obewan - here's the .3mf file 

CFFFP_Swing Simple v9.3mf

12 hours ago, HundredAcreWeeds said:

the weird printing only happens while there are retractions involved looks like. id try to dial in those settings... does it happen on similar instances where theres a retraction between two parts? maybe the parts are so small they are overheating from proximity of nozzle? (try external cooling fan / printing several at a time for cooling purposes)... Maybe its the STL check the preview see if its missing a layer right when the cylinders start. something is going on let us know what you find out

Hi HAW - thanks for the reply. Retraction might be an issue as the issue starts to happen on the same plane, but then seems to get better after the first 1-2mm, with retraction still happening. What do you mean by 'dial in those settings'? Retraction is enabled, and all travel parms are default values (retraction speed is 6.5mm).

Also, I I created a test print with a flat box with a 8mm cylinder on it, and it printed fine with the same setup.

Found the problem - it was the extruder itself, not the software.

I have a dual extruder printer (Tenlog TL-D3 Pro), and tried printing with the 2nd extruder, and it printed fine.

The extruders have a plastic shell inside that feeds the filament. I'm thinking that could be damaged, causing friction with the filament. 

Thanks again for everyone's help. I didn't know the Preview can show each layer, so I learnt something new...

• Like 1