Support for Engraved Space

njsokalski

Posted · Support for Engraved Space

I have a basic shape with a completely flat bottom & top, with the exception of text (which is laid down flat) engraved on the top. For my infill, I used 5% Cubic. However, when printing the first layer of this engraved text (the layer that touches the infill), certain parts are overhangs (since the walls of the engravement have not yet been printed). What I basically need is support (which will obviously be permanent) below the text inside the item. The only ideas I could come up with were:

1. Use a Support Blocker that surrounds the text and is (at least) the height of the object, and change the infill to 100%. However, this would obviously greatly increase both the print time and the amount of required material.

2. Use a Support Blocker that surrounds the text and change the top layer count to enough to cover the full height of the object. But once again, this would obviously greatly increase both the print time and the amount of required material.

It would be nice (especially for 3-D infill patterns like Cubic) if there was a way to support internal areas using the minimum amount of material by determining the closest surface directly below the area that needs support. What is the best way to support internal areas? Any ideas?