Brims

Alzibiff
Go to solution Solved by Alzibiff,

Posted (edited) · Brims

After buying a previously loved S5, I started to use CURA as my slicing tool - it has certainly come on a lot since I last tried it out in 2012 with my home built RepRap machine. The BRIM feature is something I tried once with Cura V5.3 but wasn't a fan of the way prints needed tidying up after removing the brim in order to get edges smooth.

Today, I thought I would try it again with V5.4 for quite a large print, roughly 252mm x 170mm on the bed. However, when slicing with all the default settings for Engineering Normal 0.15mm layer height, rather than the wide brim  I was expecting, I didn't get anything at all - not even a couple of outlines or a skirt. Any suggestions on how to slice and get a proper brim and any idea why this happened? Could it be something to do with the 3MF file that I was using? (Yes - I had BRIM selected in the Build Plate adhesion settings).

NO BRIM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 08.00.57.png

Edited by Alzibiff

• 2 weeks later...
    • Solution
    Posted (edited) · Brims

Still struggling! I can import two models and the brim works as it should on each but when I merge models, the brim disappears. This has happened on both multi-model jobs that I have sliced in Cura 5.4 so it isn't anything to do with a specific file. This is very infruriating as the latest print - merging two models -  I want a brim in order to avoid warping on a 14+ hour print. Quite happy to accept my shortcomings when it comes to CURA settings as this is a new bit of software for me, I just want to know whether there are any settings I can try?

EDIT: I have just resliced but told CURA to use Extruder 1 as the build plate adhesion extruder rather than leaving it at the default which seemed to work fine with other jobs I have prepared so I sort of have a solution now! (Odd that if I selected Extruder 2 as the build plate adhesion extruder, I still didn't get a brim. Hey ho!).

Edited by Alzibiff