Best Flexible Build Plate for the S5

Posted (edited) · Best Flexible Build Plate for the S5

Hello,

I recently shatter the glass build plate on the S5 while trying to remove a part done in Ultimaker PC filament.

As recommended, I used Magigoo Pro PC on the build plate to ensure adhesion. Right now there's still some

glass left on it very stuck to it.... and it looks pretty hard to remove stuck material. (see pic attached)

Anyway, now the glass is not existing anymore and flexible build plate aren't "recommended" or "compatible" 

according to Ultimaker (https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/000002869), I wish to maybe try something anyway.

However, it seems to have quite few options...

0. Using Ultimaker adhesion sheets on glass build plate (is it really worth it? does it work?)
1. Using 2nd glass build plate (easily swappable) to install a magnetic base + flexible sheet

1A. WHAM BAM Powder Painted PEI textured ULTEM

1B. WHAM BAM PEX Build Surface

1C. WHAM BAM PC Build Surface

1D. BuildTak PEI Sheet (will need to cut it to size by using their larger 406mm² sheet)
2. I've read online some are using High-Temperature Garolite G-11 Sheet

3. Other(s) option(s) ?

In the end I wish being able to have one surface for harder to stick material (those tend to warp).

Normally I use a standard glue stick on the glass and it's quite enough for most I've done so far (Tough PLA, PETG, TPU, PVA, PLA BreakAway)

But right now with PC, Nylon, Carbon Fiber and other engineering material, I wish I could have a swappable

build plate.

I use this machine in a work environnement and prefer faster/reliability. I am not sure about the bed temperature concern

as well, I assumed the temperature transfer might be affected by that.

Moreover, I've read some have problem with the automatic bed adjustment procedure when using those flexible plate...

Thanks for your support,

Regards from Eastern Canada.

IMG_5241.JPG

Edited by olivmath
added text

Posted · Best Flexible Build Plate for the S5

I have Wham Bam bed systems on all 7 of the Ultimaker S5's I purchased at work.  They've been great!  I still use gluestick for ABS per their suggested adhesion guide ("Settings For Various Filaments on PEX" on that link)

I also use them on my home machines (22!).  

If it helps, use my coupon code WNIC2022

• Like 2

Posted · Best Flexible Build Plate for the S5
    On 10/16/2024 at 8:43 AM, LePaul said:

I have Wham Bam bed systems on all 7 of the Ultimaker S5's I purchased at work.  They've been great! 

Which plate do you use ?

1A. WHAM BAM Powder Painted PEI textured ULTEM

1B. WHAM BAM PEX Build Surface

1C. WHAM BAM PC Build Surface

Did you install the magnetic base on your glass ?