Trying to understand Fan Speed or is it a bug?

winneymj13

Posted · Trying to understand Fan Speed or is it a bug?

Hi,

I have been using the Cara slicer for a while and love it, but I have a strange problem now that I have a fan setup for cooling.

Iam using Cura 14.09, and in the Expert settings I have the following settings under the Cool Section:

Fan full on at Height: 0.6mm

Fan Speed Min: 50%

Fan Speed Max: 100%

Min Speed (mm/s): 10

Cool head lift: enabled.

My layer height is 0.2mm.

When I slice an object and look at the gcode here is what I see for the M106 (turn on fan) command(s):

;LAYER:1
M106 S63
;LAYER:2
M106 S127

and that is all. My setting says that at 0.6mm which is layer (2) the fan should be on full 100% (M106 S255).

Perhaps I am not understanding how the fan settings work. Please let me know.

Thanks

Mark

Posted · Trying to understand Fan Speed or is it a bug?

The min and max fan speed work together with the minimal layer time. When the minimal layer time is not yet reached then the minimal fan speed is used. (The idea being that smaller layers need more cooling and thus more fan speed)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies