And a big big Hello from Bosnia and Herzegowina

x3nomorph

Posted · And a big big Hello from Bosnia and Herzegowina

At first i started like this:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/8221-wannabe-ultimaker-owner/

and few minutes ago i unboxed my ultimaker 2!!

Hello again,

i am modeling for about 4 years in autodesk maya and till now i modeled for myself and for some money through freelancers. now i bought me a ultimaker 2 for having some fun and for trying a small business. I hope i wont spam a lot here on the forum with my questions, i already read some topics and i hope its not a hard start.

At the begin i want to ask you few questions:

- i read somewhere that the room temperature is affecting the print (if its too hot or too cold); so whats the best or whats the range of a good working temperature

- i read alot about the basic parameters of the print (speed, temperature, fan speed etc); so on what depend those parameters? which models do need higher fan speed and higher temperature, which dont? speed, ok, models with more details need less speed, but why not always print with less speed if im not in hurry?

- i bought 5 filaments (colorfabb+makerpoint), what is the difference? Do i need another parameters for them or?

- i got 2 abs filaments (i know they are not for newcommers, but they can wait), whats the difference? The model could be the same without changing anything? Another parameters again or?

sorry, i know some of those questions are for sure answered on other topics, but there is a lot topics at the forum currently, i didn't saw them all.

Thank you all in advance!! I'm already happy with my ultimaker :D

cheers :cool:

Hi there and welcome to the community :)

- i read somewhere that the room temperature is affecting the print (if its too hot or too cold); so whats the best or whats the range of a good working temperature

I'm guessing you're using your printer indoors :) i've been using mine in a room with temperatures going from 10°c to 25°c with no problems, i'm guessing that lower temperatures have an effect on ABS prints (as temp is really important). If you print in a room with some heating you probably won't have any troubles. With PLA it can happen if it's too hot that the filament get grinded because it softens easily (transition point: 50°c).

- i read alot about the basic parameters of the print (speed, temperature, fan speed etc); so on what depend those parameters? which models do need higher fan speed and higher temperature, which dont? speed, ok, models with more details need less speed, but why not always print with less speed if im not in hurry?

If you print at low speeds (20mm/s to 30mm/s) you can drop the nozzle temp (for PLA you can go down to 190°c depending on the filament brand). Basically this depends on the volume you're trying to extrude. If you print 0.2 layers at 50mm/s it needs to extrude 4mm3/s (layerheight*nozzleSize*speed) which is easy for UM2, if you double the speed you begin to reach the limits (8mm3/s) some well tuned UM2 are able to go up to 15mm3/s but with high temps (240°c).

So if you need to extrude a lot you have to increase the temperature if you need to extrude less you can decrease it.

And if you are not in a hurry it's always good to use a low speed but use it in accordance with temperature :)

- i bought 5 filaments (colorfabb+makerpoint), what is the difference? Do i need another parameters for them or?

I don't have experience with makerpoint filaments, but i use colorfabb a lot, the parameters are mostly the same for each color, some will need temperature adjustements but it really depends on a lot of factors that only you can find. But for PLA: 210°c and 60°c bed temp is a good start

- i got 2 abs filaments (i know they are not for newcommers, but they can wait), whats the difference? The model could be the same without changing anything? Another parameters again or?

The model can be the same of course, you can also print the same gcode with PLA and ABS because the temperature and material settings are on the UM2 and not defined by the slicer.

ABS is trickier to print than PLA tough, it needs less fan (or no fan at all), higher temps (nozzle 240°c - 260°c and bed to 110°c) and a very constant temp (usefull to enclose the printer).

And last but not least don't be afraid to post any problems on the forum the community is here to help :)

Happy printing ;)

Hello again, thank you for the tips.

I made today my first print, it was really hard to find the issues on my model, few vertecies made a big problem hehe, but its ok, now i know the rules.

il write me down your tips and collect other on the net so i hope i will have good results.

on my first model i had problems with "wrapping" (i think that was the name) as i saw on the web the problem was the temperature. i printed the first model with basics "normal quality" but in the future i will make my own settings.

Is it only possible to change the temperature with the tweak atz plugin or is there another way?

Can someone please confirm this too:

-use glue when you print with abs,

-use glue when you print at more than 50% of the heatbed size?

Thanks

With ABS you'll need some kind of help to get it to stay on the build plate and keep it from warping (you had that correct). There are several methods, gluestick, hairspray, ABS juice etc...

With PLA it's less critical it depends on the object...

You can change the temperature directly on the machin in the Tune menu, or do it with TweakAtZ as you want.

You can put the heated bed at 60°c or 50°c for PLA the default is 70°c i think this can be set in the material menu on the printer