Help with Lazer Cutting Ultimaker Parts

Posted · Help with Lazer Cutting Ultimaker Parts

I am really interested in getting a company in england to lazer cut the ultimaker wooden parts from blue transparent acyrlic plastic.

I downloaded the DXF drawing for the cutting list of the ultimaker thingsuniverse site but after i sent the drawing to a few different lazer cutting companies for a good price, they all told me they cant give me a quote becasue the cutter does not know which line is to be cut and which line is to be engraved.

am i missing something in the dxf file ? or are all lines cut equally ?

any help would be super.

thanks.

Ian

If I would do a acrylic one, then I wouldn't do any engraving.

Like this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/derivative:10476

There are some lines in there that shouldn't be cut and are engraved in the wooden version. But I would ask the companies what they are missing then. Because when I view the files it's pretty clear to me what should be cut and what should be engraved.

And barrychuck (linked above) seems to sell a acrylic parts for $350 inc shipping.

• 1 month later...

we have cut several acrylic Ultimakers. I can send you the file we used for that when I am back at work on Monday, but it is not hard to do the modifications yourself. Use the original drawings, not a possibly out of date derivative. remove all the lines that are intended to be kiss lines, iirc these are all blue. The drawings contain instructions what part to cut from what material, you might need to split the drawings up into separate files, one for each thickness (you need 6 and 4mm). As far as I know, coloured acrylic is not available in 6mm, only 5, and you will get some fitting issues if you use 5mm: the slider blocks will be a bit smaller and the stacks for the build platform will be too narrow to fit the linear bearings.

Be aware though that the extruder motor construction will break over time, it has just too little material in it. I have made some drawings for an improvement, but you may have guessed it: those are at work and it is not that hard to modify yourself.

If you want a machine in clear 6mm acrylic, we can cut that out for you for 300 euro ex shipping. You can sand it yourself, or add some colour with a transparent foil later. We usually sand them for a matte look, and add some colour to the engravings with a marker and sandpaper.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I know this thread is a bit old but I am building an ultimaker-like 3D-printer. To help buying all the parts, I have laser cutted some clear acrylic frames. You can find it on ebay (search ultimaker).

If you need other parts, I can cut it for you. I don't do business with my laser cutter but if it could help me to have fun with laser-cutter, 3D-printers, ...etc and help someone to build its own design for almost nothing it could be a very good thing ! ;)

Bye

Hi,

I know this thread is a bit old but I am building an ultimaker-like 3D-printer. To help buying all the parts, I have laser cutted some clear acrylic frames. You can find it on ebay (search ultimaker).

If you need other parts, I can cut it for you. I don't do business with my laser cutter but if it could help me to have fun with laser-cutter, 3D-printers, ...etc and help someone to build its own design for almost nothing it could be a very good thing ! ;)

Bye

Do you have any more laser cut acrylic frames?

Does anyone have a link to the best file for getting these cut out of acrylic?

thanks

Hi JelleAtProtospace

If you read this. can you please send me a email.

I would be very interested in getting the parts done with your company.

here is my email admin@pixpast.com

thanks.

Ian