OpenSCAD polygon builder.

Posted · OpenSCAD polygon builder.

I'm making extensive use of OpenSCAD. The only problem I found is that the polygon function is hard to use. I rather draw my polygons visual. So I created a simple polygon editor for OpenSCAD in Javascript+HTML.

It can be found at:

http://daid.eu/~daid/3d/

Action screenshot:

http://daid.eu/~daid/Screenshot.png

How does it work? Well, simply paste the OpenSCAD code containing polygons in the lower left text area. And the polygons will show up. Then use the edit/add/delete tools to modify the polygons and it will update the code automatically (like magic). Just copy it back to OpenSCAD for the final result.

Example code:

$fs = 0.4;render() intersection() {rotate([-90,0,0]) linear_extrude(height=20,center=true) polygon([[24,0],[21,4],[15,7],[-13,7],[-21,4],[-24,1],[-24,-5],[-13,-4],[-12,0],[-9,0],[-7,1],[11,1],[13,-1],[25,-2]]);linear_extrude(height=20,center=true) polygon([[23,-3],[25,0],[23,3],[19,6],[12,8],[-20,8],[-23,6],[-24,0],[-23,-6],[-20,-8],[12,-8],[19,-6]]);rotate([-90,0,90]) linear_extrude(height=100,center=true) polygon([[8,-8],[-8,-8],[-8,2],[-7,5],[-5,7],[5,7],[7,5],[8,2]]);}translate([-3,0,-2]) cylinder(r=1,h=20);translate([ 8,0,-2]) cylinder(r=1,h=20);

I've tested it in firefox, IE and chrome. Which all worked without a hitch.

If you want an offline version. Just save the page, everything needed for the tool to function is in a single HTML file.