Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
chris

Arching of the sides

Hi community,

i´am a really fresh new printer. I got my Ultimaker 3 weeks ago and had already fight against several

problems. O.K. I think this is a normal process that everyone has to go through.

I got a lot of questions and I think that it´s not my last post in the blog.

O.K. here is my first question:

In all of my bigger prints, for example a plate 200x100x5mm , I got the problem that the sides of the objekt are arching to the top. You can really see, that the part releases from the bed.

Do you got any ideas to prevent the plate from arching.

Thanks in advanced.

What you see is called "warping", there are different ways to counter it, but it happens because the plastic is shrinking. (and the first layer shrinks while the next one is put on top)

One option would be a heated bed. Another is changing your model so it has less tension in the first layers. Another trick is to add small round pads which stick to the bed, like this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/image:109366

and cut them off later.

Firstly, thanks for the fast answer.

The idea with the pads sounds pretty interesting. The problem is, that the sice of my part is as big as the bed.

I believe I´am not able to add them. But it´s a good thing to try, thank you.