Problems with connection

somerwil

Posted · Problems with connection

Hi guys (and Daid in particular),

Because of the advances Florian has made on his Ultimaker with the retraction settings I installed Cura yesterday. The installation went pretty smooth up to the point where the firmware is updated to the Cura 12.08 firmware (or whatever it's called that's installed in the background).

It took a few tries before the firmware installed correctly. No advanced tries done there, just hit the button a few times hoping it would work in the end :-). It did!

Now with Cura I feel pretty happy with the interface, coming from Netfabb and had a look at SF before so I quite know what the settings are likely to do and affect the print. Only problem I have is just before printing. The Printing window shows up, but no connection made. Using the same strategy (hit the "Connect" button a few times) it eventually makes a connection. Sometime I even needed to restart my PC since Python seems to mess up the system quite a bit. In this case I must admit I switched USB ports with the Printing dialog open which probably resulted in an error somewhere.

I also looked at the programs Preferences and set the COM to the right port. I know which one it is since I previously used RepG with this setting. It made no difference so I put it back into AUTO mode.

When Cura connects to the printed, it makes a light sound, the same as it does when I restart my PCB so that's nothing to worry about. My Ultipanel shows two lines filled with white blocks and then (sometimes) Cura connects. The Cura 12.08, black MSDOS-looking window doesn't give me any feedback in this stage.

It works in the end but only after some 5 minutes of trial and error which is probably not the idea :-) Am I doing something wrong? Any help/ advice would be appreciated.

Michael

In this case I must admit I switched USB ports with the Printing dialog open which probably resulted in an error somewhere.
    Windows behaves VERY badly in this case. Try to avoid this if possible.

Not sure why it has troubles connecting. It should report connection attempts in the black dos box.

However, what you can try, is configuring the COM port and baudrate in the preferences. It uses auto detection by default, which seems to cause problems for a small group of people. (Baudrate is 250000 with the Cura firmware)

• 3 weeks later...

Problem was fixed after changing the BAUD rate to 250000 instead of AUTO in the preferences dialog.

PS: Why not setting it to 250000 as default value? I think most users will use the Cura firmware along with the program... If they want to experiment with other firmwares the probably know to check the BAUD setting. nOObs like me are not really into these things.

PS: Why not setting it to 250000 as default value? I think most users will use the Cura firmware along with the program... If they want to experiment with other firmwares the probably know to check the BAUD setting. nOObs like me are not really into these things.

It was 250000 by default on older versions, but for linux the 250000 does not work and thus it installs a 115200 firmware. The problem is not really the fact that there is auto detection, but that the auto-detection is a bit buggy at times. I know why, and it will improve.