Ultimaker 2 Extruder Clicking

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Extruder Clicking

I understand this topic has been covered multiple times before, but I can't find a good solution. I just got an Ultimaker 2 a few days ago and the extruder will not stop clicking. It doesn't really effect the prints unless I try to print on the "fast" preset. However, when the machine goes to it's dump zone and dumps the extruder skips a lot while making some pretty bad noises. I have tried to play with the tensioner on the back but no setting seems to work. I have tried it all the way loose (white peg up) and half way tight (white peg middle). I pushed some filament through the nozzle and it was clear of jams along with the bowden tube.

Any ideas would be great! Despite the extruder problems I have been very happy with the Ultimaker.

Erik

Hi and welcome in the community!

The extruder clicking is a security to prevent damage to the stepper motor. It happens when you try to feed more filament than it can handle.

Typical reasons are:

• partially clogged nozzle but you ruled that out.
    • Temperature too low, what temp are you using?
    • Filament too wide, what is the brand of filament?
    • Bed too close if it only happens on the first layer

There are other reasons possible but these are the most common

Could you give us your printing parameters?

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response!

It really only clicks when I slice with the default "fast" print setting in Cura.  I have a feeling the machine is just trying to push too much filament at once. If I run the machine on normal or high settings it prints fine. Right now I have my tensioner sitting right in the middle. Is the default "fast" setting just too much for the machine or do I have to make some adjustments.

Well it depends on the layer height and the printing temperature. But basically the faster you want to print, the hotter you want to extrude (because more material has to be melted).

So Fast setting might need a higher temp