First Layer Stick Fix

3dtopo

Posted · First Layer Stick Fix

I struggled for literally days trying every setting possible to get my first layer to stick. I looked at the Ultimaker Wiki and they pretty much just state to check the temperature and make sure the table is the right distance and level.

I am sure that is good advice, but that is not why my first layer wasn't sticking.

I just had to clean my tape with some rubbing alcohol and a paper towel. Now the only problem is it sticks *too* good!

Anyways, I am posting this to hopefully help others, and hopefully someone adds this to the Ultimaker help. It would have saved me countless hours of frustration!

Thanks Daid!

I am using Cura - love it! They should just abandon ReplicatorG (on the Mac at least). It literally saved my life - I was going crazy trying to get my first print with ReplicatorG!

One of the main features I am dying for is just a button to run the extrude motor. I have been dealing with clogs (way too much for my liking) so I have to do a lot of manual spinning the gear. It would also be helpful for testing the extruder Seems like it would be a piece of cake to add.

One other thing, I calibrated my Ultimaker, and it seems it is off about 1% in the XYZ. I don't see anywhere to enter calibration data for Cura anywhere. So in the meantime I just set scale to 1.01, but it would be nice to have this in a configration file so I can use scale more the way I expect it is meant to be used...

Anyways, thanks a million, you rock!

They are going to abandon RepG and switch to Cura. But there are some things that need to be arranged before that.

There should be no calibration in the X/Y. What usually happens is that people think the accuracy is wrong. However, it's usually their testing method. If you print a 10x10 cube, and measure it, you have terminal shrinkage which causes your result to be slightly smaller. The proper way to see if you have a problem with the X/Y is to mount a pencil on the head and draw a line, and measure it. This will show that you X/Y is accurate.

That makes good sense, and I had a hunch about shrinkage. I guess it would be really nice to be able to enter a shrinkage factor somewhere in the configuration then.

Glad to hear about ditching RepG! Long live Cura!

:)

P.S.

Wouldn't the belt tightness make slight differences in calibration?

Since there are a number tracks per inch, the more the belt is stretched, the more it would move per tooth, correct?

If that is the case, then it would be nice to be able to enter both a shrink factor and a calibration factor...