Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
kyma5

can't switch between Netfabb and cura

Hi,

First I connected the UM with Netfabb, it works. Afterwards I installed the current cura, upgraded the firmware and made some experiments with cura. Then I wanted to change to Netfabb. But now Netfabb don't connect anymore. I had this problem some weeks ago and much trouble getting connected the UM to Netfabb again.

Daid said, he will fix the problem.

What shell I do now? Everytime change the firmware if I want to change the software?

Any help/ advice would be appreciated.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

When you try to connect is there an error message, or does it just hang? My guess is that the buadrate is incorrect. I believe Netfabb and Cura default to different baudrates. You will need to set your firmware to a specific baudrate and then select that same rate in the settings for both NetFabb and Cura.

Cheers,

Troy.

Is printing from NetFabb stable? I didn't think it was. I think the recommended action is slicing with NetFabb and then printing it with PrintRun. Cura installs a 250000 baud firmware by default, so you need to configure PrintRun or NetFabb to use that baudrate.

The other way around, Cura will work fine with a NetFabb capable firmware. As the baudrate in Cura is auto-detected by default.

Just to comment on Daids post,

Yes, printing is now stable in NetFabb and has been for the past couple of revisions. It used to die towards the end of prints, but I've done many prints in it since they fixed the problem without issue.

Still, being a Linux person I tend to avoid Windows as much as possible... These days I open NetFabb in a Windows Virtual Machine, slice my model, and then print with either PrintRun under Linux or now more recently with the Ulticontroller.

Cheers,

Troy

Just to comment on Daids post,

Yes, printing is now stable in NetFabb and has been for the past couple of revisions. It used to die towards the end of prints, but I've done many prints in it since they fixed the problem without issue.

Still, being a Linux person I tend to avoid Windows as much as possible... These days I open NetFabb in a Windows Virtual Machine, slice my model, and then print with either PrintRun under Linux or now more recently with the Ulticontroller.

Cheers,

Troy

I'd love to know what VM you are running it in (Vmware, virtualbox?). I prefer keeping my primary environments to Linux but I'm finding I need more Windows software running.

I use Virtualbox. Netfabb is the only Windows program I use now. I hadn't had a Windows install at all for years until I decided to try NetFabb. As great as Cura and the other free options are, NetFabb just produces amazing results with out much effort... I just wish it came in a Linux flavour...

Cheers,

Troy.