About to purchase a lightly used Ultimaker 2 - What should I be on the lookout for?

Posted · About to purchase a lightly used Ultimaker 2 - What should I be on the lookout for?

I have the opportunity to purchase a slightly used (50 prints) Ultimaker 2 for $1850, seller assures me it's in good condition. It was purchased 2 months ago. I'm going to go look at it later today and maybe pick it up.

Are there any less obvious things I should be looking for?

Version/Generation issues? Wear unique to the machine? etc?

Can't wait to get printing!

Posted · About to purchase a lightly used Ultimaker 2 - What should I be on the lookout for?

Shipping can be vicious! Make sure the 4 feet sit on a flat surface without rocking. Sometimes it is so warped that two of the top corners are significantly higher than the other 2 corners and so it prints instead of in a flat plane, it prints in a saddle shape along the diagonal. It's difficult to make the glass into the same shape (but you can do it by putting washers under 2 corners).

Make sure the nozzle isn't clogged maybe? Although it's not a disaster if it is. You could heat nozzle to 200C and pass some PLA through it with the "move material" feature. don't keep it hot for more than a few minutes though.

If the fan seems very noisy there are replacements that are much quieter.

Probably will be ok, but perhaps ask for the original receipt, to verify it's not one of the stolen UM2's.

Posted (edited) · About to purchase a lightly used Ultimaker 2 - What should I be on the lookout for?

You don't need the receipt - just the serial number and then you can send a personal message to sander to check. Or contact support.ultimaker.com with the serial number in your message. Hopefully you will get an answer within a day. Or call them - they usually answer the phone during normal working hours Netherlands time and speak english incredibly well.

Edited by Guest

Thank you all for the input! Nozzle was clear, original receipt was provided, and she sits level on the ground. Can't wait to get home this evening and take her for a test drive!

You don't need the receipt - just the serial number and then you can send a personal message to sander to check.  Or contact support.ultimaker.com with the serial number in your message.  Hopefully you will get an answer within a day.  Or call them - they usually answer the phone during normal working hours Netherlands time and speak english incredibly well.

This is what I meant