Design/Make self voicing TTS LCD display for UM2?

Posted · Design/Make self voicing TTS LCD display for UM2?

Hi there,

I am an assistive technology practitioner/Maker/DIY-er/Multimedia artist (not an engineer). I have worked with Printrbot/Repetier/Marlin as an on again off again hobby and now currently, I am working with a relatively new UM2 at work. Because I work in disability services, we are most focused on the creation of Tactile learning objects. However one of the things we are noticing is that while there is a disability presence in the Maker movement in terms of people with disabilities hacking their own adaptive equipment, or people designing things on behalf of people with disabilities but the machines being produced now don't contain accessibility features/universal deign features such as self voicing menus/tactile controls (for starters) . So um, Lets make one!? (ie tts enabled LCD control for UM2) I'm thinking (in my non engineering fantasy brain) Could we not load Festival open source TTS engine (or other open tts engine) into Arduino and attach it to the LCD control? (I'm putting this query out to a few different forums but wanted to start here)

Thanks for your thoughts,

Erik

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
      Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
    • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
      (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
      All UltiMaker S series  
      New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
      • 0 replies