Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
fuchs

Observation - Printing into a groove (kind of)

By mistake (while adjusting the printing bed) the printhead did scrap a bit into the tape covering the printing bed. I use yellow Tesa 4840 which has some kind of ripple-structure to it. The printing head left a small imprint in these ripple structure, especially the skirt (i use Cura with a 3x15mm distance skirt).

The print went fairly good and i decided to print the same object a second time. Then i noticed, that the PLA went really easy into the groove, the first print had left - like in some kind of mould.

So i printed the same object a third time and i saw that even with a not 100% correct Z-height, the PLA went nicely into the groove and did stick there quite well.

My observation is, that maybe if one uses some kind of spongy(?) covering for the printing bed, which can be pressed down by the printing head, one could make a groove (like a trench) in which the PLA (or printing material) would stick a bit easier, as the tube of material (which is basically round) would get squashed a bit into the ground (as usual) but would also have more contact points with the sides of that trench.

In essence, maybe one could use the printing head without extruding to "prime" the printing bed when it is covered with a soft, not too thick material (like some kinds of tape) and therefore leveling the area onto which will be printed and also giving more support to the printing material. After that, one would print the first layer into that trench/groove/mould.

Of course one would have to replace the tape (or Mat?) after each (or some) printing.

Anybody tried / observed something similar?