"Tippingpoints" - how to print them with?

fuchs

Posted · "Tippingpoints" - how to print them with?

Tippingpoints.jpg (

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34708308/Tippingpoints.jpg

)

Printing objects with a pointy end (like http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18218 or http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24255 results in a mess at the endpoints, mostly (i think) because there is only a very small space to print on.

I am using Cura 12.08 with the basic parameters. Only change i did was "Cooling time" which i set from 8 to 10.

My guess is, that the hot hotend stays for too long in the vicinty of these small patches and the radiation heat prevents the spots from cooling down (fan is running of course).

Any ideas how to get nicer ends?

I read about turning the speed for the last layers down to 70, 50 or even 40% - but isn't that basically the same as the "Cooling time" parameter?

I am otherwise kinda happy, but it spoils the experience when the last few layers are bad afters hours of printing :-/

what temp are you printing at ?

ii noticed when i dropped from 230 to 200 printing PLA, that these top tip blobs were almost completly removed.

Ian :)

what temp are you printing at ?

ii noticed when i dropped from 230 to 200 printing PLA, that these top tip blobs were almost completly removed.

Ian :)

Ah, currently i am printing at 210 and using the Ultimaker PLA. Will try 200 degrees next. Thanks! :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe even try temperatures all the way down to 190 degrees. That has helped me on similar situations. It will just take some experiments to balance the temperature that the whole job can deal without having layer separation, bed attachment issues and still getting nice detail on the finer parts of the model. At a lower temperature, the filament doesn't just freely ooze out of the hot end and actually has to be pushed out, giving more control for those smaller more detailed areas. Also be sure to check that your minimum speed in the expert settings isn't speeding up your minimum layer time setting.

-John

I also recommend going to 5 or even 3 seconds layer time. The defaults haven't been tweaked to perfection for these kinds of details.